Wednesday, January 31, 2007

TCB

More e-mails and phone calls. The first e-mail of the morning was from Dan telling me there was a snafu with the funds transfer. A bit of a scramble there. All done now.

I got the packet from the life insurance company. I filled it out and sent it back with a copy of the death certificate. Today when I went to pick up the death certificates I asked them if they had Jim's ashes yet. They had just gotten them in. Ok, THAT was weird. In death, as in life, Jim is heavy. They're in a box in a green, crushed velvet, drawstring bag. It felt really strange carrying that box out to my car.

I think I'm done for the day. My knee is still popping a little. I hope this doesn't last too long because I want to get back up to speed on the Rubidoux walks.

I made a doctor's appointment today. Gonna get the full overhaul.

So, let's talk about getting the window fixed on the van. I found a guy who could do it for $125 and get it done in an hour. Coolness! When I got there he said, "Well, it's going to be more like an hour and a half." No problem. I took a little walk down to Walmart just to kill time. When I got back the car still hadn't been moved into the garage. I waited. And waited. Pretty soon their supplier came in with the window. When they inspected it they found a small crack in the corner. They rejected that window and ordered another one. More waiting. Now it's been about 2 hours.

I had only had a cup of coffee that morning so by then I was feeling pretty yucky. I walked down to MacDonald's to get something, ANYTHING. When I walked in the whole place was filled with people who were severely mentally challenged. There were like, 20 of them! I had to walk the retard gauntlet to get to the front counter. They were all milling about, carrying their food and talking to each other. I could barely get through. When the girl took my order she asked if I wanted it for here or to go. Um, yeah, TO GO!

I walked outside and found a low wall and set my stuff down. I looked up and saw a street sign that had a sticker on it. It said MORTAL. Yeah, like I needed to be reminded of THAT!

I walked back to the auto glass place. Again I saw their truck leave. The guy came back with another window and took it into the garage. Now we're at 3 1/2 hours. After a while the truck left again and came back with yet another window. After another hour and a half they had it done. The guy told me there had been so much broken glass in the frame that every time they though it was in place they'd find bits of broken glass and they'd have to take the window out. They had ruined the second window trying to get it in. They gave me a whole whopping fifteen bucks off the price for making me wait so long. Oh, gee thanks.

When I got home I saw Drew's truck in the driveway and the hood on Lindsay's car open. I thought aw, how nice, Drew came over to fix Lindsay's car. When I walked up Drew told me what the problem was. She didn't have the car in park! That's why it wouldn't start! I let out a long "NOOOooooooooo!" Oh well. I've done that myself with that car. Drew said he's done the same thing with his boat. So, ok. Everything's fine, no repair costs.

Except now the truck battery is dead again. But hey, now we know how to jump!

No comments: