Sunday, January 21, 2007

I know this won't last

I'm doing really well right now. I'll get a little weepy from time to time but it usually only lasts about a minute. I kinda took the weekend off. There are issues to address and loads of crap to do but I've saved them for tomorrow. I'm enjoying my time with Dean. Bob Craig visited today which was just wonderful.

But I think there's a crash coming. After the Celebration party is over and the out of town friends have gone home we'll get into the nitty gritty of building this new life. The enormity of this loss has not yet sunk in. It's kind of like we (the girls and me) are in the honeymoon phase of the grieving process. How's that for a concept?

I need to call the mortuary tomorrow. I'd like to have Jim cremated as soon as possible. It makes me uncomfortable to think about his body being stored somewhere.

Anyway...

Today was a good day. Dean and I got up early and had breakfast. We took care of a few things and then I came out and did some computering. When Bob got here I was still in my jammies. We chatted for a little bit and then Dad showed up, followed by Dede. We had a quick visit with them. Drew came to pick them up and take Dad, um, somewhere. I forgot. After they left Dean and Bob and I got caught up. She hadn't seen him in about 30 years. Amazing. We've reached that age.

I got dressed and we went to BJ's for lunch. It's great just being with them. I got lots of hugs and kisses from Bob. We held hands a lot. (Don't go getting excited, people. It's just my sweet buddy from my highschool days and one of Jim's best friends.) After lunch we came back here and looked at pictures -n- stuff. Then Bob went home. It was a wonderful and comforting visit. All three of us had a real good time.

And that's about it. Tomorrow will be busy. I have to call the mortuary, the medical insurance lady, Allstate and the life insurance company. Gotta start pulling those particles together.I need to look up some stuff about Jim so Dean and I can write his obituary. Nancy's going to put it in the Press Democrat for me. Time to start looking for photos. Gotta send out a mass e-mail about Jim's Celebration party on Saturday.

Particles.

Hoo boy, I just got real tired. These weird hours might be catching up to me.

8 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Oh yeah, it's been a week since Jim's stroke. Just a week.

vivage said...

I'm actually glad you're so aware of the the honeymoon portion, I think it will help a teeny bit when things settle down. I was not prepared for that and the crash was hard.

Keep walking, keep taking moments for your self. Take some time to look up the stages of grief. Let me know if you need a hand or a shoulder to cry on later.

Robert said...

True, about the stages of grief. Good to know them and something I've learned is that they don't necessarily happen in order and you can from time to time jump back and forth from one to the other. I guess the point here is your grief will be yours. Don't be afraid of it, embrace it and when you need to, lean on those around you who love you. There are many who are ready and willing to do so. Don't forget to breath. Love you kiddo.

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- I know as time goes on I will appreciate being able to talk to you more and more. I love how you're able to focus like a laser and get to the essence of a subject. Your visit in the hospital meant a lot to me.

Bob- Your comment here and the phone call this morning were so helpful. I know I will benefit greatly from your experience. Keep 'em comin', baby.

The day is going well. Lot's of TCB.

vivage said...

Ummm, feel free to tell me to back off if I'm too straightforward ok?
xo

Anonymous said...

THE GOOD NEWS IS: KYLE GOT A COOL NEW JOB! New beginnings starting....
Doni- I can't tell you how much I wish we could be there for Jim's celebration of his life. I was even on Expedia looking for flights, etc. trying to figure out if there was any way we could somehow get there. (Looks like only if we win the lottery between now and Sat.:( . ) I'm glad your friend Dean is there to help you and keep you company.
Kyle is excited about his job but we warned him to "keep his antennae up"- remembering the "selling art out of a van" gig.
Hoping you have a good time spending time with the people who loved Jim on Saturday- sharing memories of good times with a wonderful person. It's tearing us apart that we won't be there. So sorry.

Billy Canary said...

If you need any help, ringy ding dingy. OK?

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- Heh! Has that been a problem before?

Anne- I know! I'm happy for Kyle. New beginnings, indeed. The house was lively today. It was cool. Thank you for wanting to come out. I know it's hard to pull stuff together so quickly, especially expensive stuff like plane tickets and time off work.

Bill- Okey-dokey!