Friday, January 19, 2007

Hitting the ground running.

Lots of people told me to take the day off and relax but I've got too much excess energy to lay around and mope. I started by cleaning out Jim's side of the dresser and closet. It's an easy thing to do and besides, Dean will need some space for her clothes when she gets here. We'll keep some special things like a few t-shirts but I'm passing the rest along to Anthony. Whatever he doesn't want will go to the hospice thrift store. I gave Rory Jim's new SAS shoes.

I'm hiring Hector to clean up the yards. The last few windstorms left a lot of debris and the lawn and plants are looking generally shabby. We're going to gather up the clutter in the house and then Hector's wife is going to come do the cleaning. That way the house will be ready for company and we'll be free to do stuff like make arrangements for the party and run errands.

I got things moving with getting Jim's retirement money switched to my name. I still need to call Allstate and contact the life insurance company. So many particles to handle but I think it's good for me to do this stuff. I taped some paper to the front of the fridge so we can make lists and keep track of things. The kids have been so helpful today.

More phone calls, more e-mails, more comments on this blog. It takes up a lot of time but that's my life line. I love hearing from all of you, even if I'm sobbing for half the conversation. Please know that you're not making things harder for me by talking about Jim and your feelings about him. You're actually making it easier for me to bear the pain. Hey, you all know me. I'm a big weeper.

I'm doing ok, you guys. I know there are some hard times ahead but I'm way less scared than I was a few days ago. The worst thing that has ever happened to me was yesterday. Now I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Life can only get better.

Right foot, left foot, repeat.

5 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

I think you're right. I think it does help me feel more in control. It feels natural and right.

Bob Craig was going to come by tonight but his car broke down. I told him you were coming tomorrow and it would be fun to have him visit while you're here. He's looking forward to it.

Remember to order your Bloody Mary.

vivage said...

Keeping busy is what kept me sane while I was dealing with the right after stuff. And it was good because I was able to laugh hysterically at some things that were just outragous at the time.

But that said, keep taking some rest periods, otherwise the let down can be really, really fucked up.

Donita Curioso said...

Good advice. Thank you.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Nice walk today. Let's keep it going.

Donita Curioso said...

Yes, let's. I think it's one of the best things I can do for myself right now. Thank you. I really enjoyed that today.