Monday, March 14, 2005

Sunday's visit.

After lunch everyone came over. David took Dad into the office to try to find his medical insurance info. Turns out his Medicare is still current so he can start using it again and get his own doctor. He can still get his meds through the VA.

While they were in the office the rest of us walked around the house and made a list of Dad's possessions that have any value. We needed that info to finish up the trust. After that we went out and toured the farm. We looked at the Debbie field to see if it was a viable place for RV storage. It could be a quick source of income for Dad.

Then we walked around the barnyard. Stacey and I knew what to expect but I think Debbie was a little shocked. We filled her in on the Timio situation and she feels the same way the rest of us do. Timio's presence here is a drain on Dad's resources and something needs to be done about it. It's a very sensitive subject with Dad. He thinks Timio does a lot for him with the farm so he thinks it's worth it to have him here. We strongly disagree. It will be a happy day for me when we can finally tell Timio adios.

We talked a lot about how to get rid of all the scrap metal. Drew and I are going to handle that one. He's going to mark it all with spray paint. We're going to put an ad in the paper for "free scrap, you haul" and have our phone number on the ad. As for the rest of the stuff, we'll just have to get in there and get to work. First we'll tell Timio to get his crap out of there and then we'll do the rest. I suggested we divide the whole project up into sections so it's not so overwhelming.

It's still going to be a battle working with Dad. Yesterday I asked him about this tv that was sitting on the bricks around his fireplace. I asked if it works. He said, "What difference does it make?" His tone was confrontational. I said, "Why are you asking me that?" He gave me a little more crap and then backed down and gave me a straight answer. I think he was showing off for the sibs. Mr. Tough Guy.

The selfish part of me sometimes wishes he was a little more "gone" so we could just step in and get it all done. Getting him started on meds will help him hang onto what he still has. But what he has now can be pretty darned hard to work with!

No comments: