Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Paging Dr. Soup Nazi

I could bust a vein.

I went with Dad to his doctor's appointment today. This guy was one arrogant SOB and that's putting it mildly. I was trying to have what I thought was a normal conversation with him and he yelled at me, "Don't talk when I'm talking! You must listen to me!" Then Dad tried to talk to him about getting his cataract surgery scheduled and he yelled at Dad, "I don't have anything to do with that! You must listen to me!" The whole visit went pretty much like that. He yelled at Dad and then said, "Ok, I'm going to have the nurse come take your blood pressure now." WTF?????

He went through everything that he already had in Dad's records and then got up and said, "Come on, we're going to send you to the pharmacy now. Come on."
I said, "What? You're done?"
Him- "Yes, I'm done."
Me- "WELL, WE'RE NOT DONE!!!"

The dickhead almost dropped his clipboard.

I had a whole list of things we needed to talk about. Dad has a huge, doughy lump on his elbow. He'll have to see the rheumatologist for that. I asked how we do that. He yelled, "It's in the system! They'll contact you!". I asked about his Alzheimer's evaluation and getting Dad into the Geriatric Clinic. Guess what? It's in the system! They'll contact you! We talked about Dad not being able to drive. Dad was really trying hard to understand but this is an emotional issue for him and he didn't listen to every word this sorry puke was yelling. The doc said, "This is where I get really mad at my patients. You have to listen to me!"

So, he KNOWS that Dad has AD but he's going to get really mad at him and yell at him because Dad doesn't quite get what he's saying???? This guy is the WORST doctor in the WORLD! There were several times during the visit where I was talking and he interrupted me. I'd stop, then let him finish and then start over again. I'm sure if I had yelled YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO ME he would have called security.

I took notes and will give the full report to the sibs when we're all together. We got Dad's prescriptions refilled and he got a chest xray. Tomorrow we're going back for blood work. He can't get the cataract surgery done until his blood pressure comes down.

MY blood pressure is pretty freakin' high right now.

No comments: