Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Exercise

I made Dad go for a walk today. He came over to dry his laundry and we started talking about his cataracts and getting his blood pressure down. I told him he should do a circuit around the back field every day. He said he'll start doing it after Debbie leaves. I said how about today? He said how about tomorrow. I said how about now? He hadn't eaten lunch yet. I sent him home to eat and then we went for a walk. He did two circuits around the field. His choice.

He was walking with his hands clamped behind his back and he was shuffling. Every once in a while he would stumble. I told him to let his arms swing when he walks to help with his balance and to walk heel to toe. The shuffling was too jarring and I think that was contributing to the stumbling problem. He did much better after that. I had to keep reminding him, though.

He was pretty tired after the walk but I don't think it was too hard for him. The exercise will be good for his blood pressure and his diabetes. It won't do me any harm either. For his safety I'm going to have to go with him. At one point he almost fell over.

Tonight is Debbie and Bob's last night here so we're going out to dinner after the Little League game.

No comments: