Friday, March 18, 2005

Property taxes

This morning Dad got a cold call from a real estate agent. This guy had been snooping around the county records and found that Dad hadn't paid his property taxes last December. Dad talked to him for a while and then called me. Jim and I think this guy is probably preying on the elderly. I got his phone number from Dad and called him and left a message on his machine. I haven't heard back from him yet. If he calls Dad again he's going to tell the guy he needs to talk to me.

But the good thing is, he gave us a heads up about the property taxes. Dad and I went downtown and got everything caught up. We need to make sure we watch the mail for stuff like that.

We had some time left on the parking meter so I suggested we take a walk. I'm trying to get some exercise in whenever we get the chance. We walked around a couple of the big blocks downtown. I was watching Dad's steps and warning him about the curbs. I also reminded him to pick up his feet and allow his arms to swing at his sides. At one point there was a construction sign lashed to a sawhorse in the middle of the sidewalk. He moved to avoid it but ended up falling on it. I tried to hang on to him while we danced around on the sidewalk and ended up with him clutching the sign and me holding him up from behind. I'm wondering if a cane would be a good idea.

After that we went to lunch and then to the grocery store. He said he wanted to go get a haircut but I was ready to go home. He said he'd deal with it later. Drew's truck was still here and Dad had the key. Later in the day Drew showed up with Dad's car. He wanted to get his truck back but Dad had taken it to go get his haircut. Dad hadn't told me that he was going to take Drew's truck and I didn't know that he had left. I'm thinking that Dad didn't really have Drew's permission to drive his truck and that Drew might be a little miffed. I guess I'll find out later.

Monday we have an appointment with a different doctor. A non VA doctor. Drew and Mindy set this appointment up. This guy was Mindy's dad's doc and they say he's really good. We were going to wait until after the VA appointment but since they were able to get him in we decided to take it. I'm looking forward to this one.

No comments: