Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Open mike

Wow, it was a good one.

Bill, Jeff and I met Eric (from uke circle) and his wife for dinner at Heroes. Heroes is a restaurant that serves mass quantities. After eating like a bird for most of the week it sure looked weird to me to see those plates piled ever so high with food being carried through the restaurant. I didn't feel like I was being deprived, it was more like, wow, nobody should ever eat that much food. I ordered a tuna avocado roll up. The sucker was enormous! I took one bits and decided the wrap was too cardboardy. I hollowed the salad out of it and had that. Didn't eat the fries. I was more than satisfied.

After that we headed for the Folk Center. All the regulars were there. Lots of newbies, too. I was planning to sing my Health Science song. I squirmed a little because there were two kids sitting right in front of us and this song is a just a bit randy. After talking it over with Jeff I decided to sing the song and not worry too much about offending delicate ears. When I got up to sing I did say, "Cover the kid's ears" before launching into the song. I'm happy to report it was a hit! People laughed a lot. When I sat back down I apologized the the kid's mother. She said, "Oh, no, that was great! Don't worry about it." A little later her two kids, a girl and a boy, got up and performed. Wow. They did Closer To Fine by The Indigo Girls. Jeez, they were really good.

Jeff sang his newest song, which I think is his best yet. Kind of a bluesy, funny, haiku thing. Bill sang a song about his grandfather's chili. Shades of childhood. Nice and bittersweet. Eric sang I'll Remember You by Kui Lee. I want to learn that one. Eric did a nice job. It was his first open mike.

Ok, here are the lyrics to my song. Everything in it was covered in class-

Health Science teacher
talkin' sex and STDs
birth control and obesity
drugs and heart disease

Eat right, sleep tight, exercise
give your body what it wants
Go out jogging, meet a cougar.
Test your fight or flight response

Chorus-
Can you name all your parts?
Do you know what they do?
Do you stand or sit
when you go to the loo?
Do you roll right over
when you've had a good screw?
Do you know all there is to know about you?

Don't smoke, don't drink and don't shoot up
and treat your sweetie nice.
Don't go to bed with strangers
and you won't get pubic lice

And it's ok to use your hand
or a penis that is fake
Just don't have sex with trees or pets
and don't insert a snake

And say your boyfriend ups and dies
or girlfriend kicks the bucket
Just because it can't say no
doesn't mean it's ok to fuck it

(Oh yeah, necrophilia was covered)

Chorus-

A drink or two can break the ice
and send things in a friendly direction
But not too much, cause when it's time to perform
you might not get an erection

And if you're a girl take extra care
Protect your drink just like it's a child
Something might slip in and the next thing you know
you're the sweetheart of Girls Gone Wild

Chorus-

Mr. Beaman taught us how to stay healthy
but you'll probably still catch a cold
Just apply what you've learned
and if you're good and lucky
you'll die when you're very old

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you submitted that for your final in the class, I bet you got an A.

-dean

vivage said...

I really hope you send a copy of the cd to mr. beaman.

Anonymous said...

Wow...
I'm impressed that you were able to eat out at a restaurant on this diet and not feel deprived!
I'm impressed that you did this song on open mike after doing so well at the restaurant!
Yay for Donita!
Mommala

Donita Curioso said...

One of these days I'll go to his class and sing it for him. I did get an A in the class, but it was because I did so brilliantly on the final.

Anne- Thanks! I dunno, maybe my stomach is shrinking. It didn't take much to fill me up. I'll tell ya, I'm feeling hungry all the time. It's constant. I'm having to get used to dealing with that. All this week I've had about 1100 calories a day. I'm hoping that once I start on the supplement I won't be so hungry.

I went up Mt. Rubidoux this evening. I zoomed. Boy, I felt really good, even at the beginning of the walk. Normally it takes me a while to get revved up. I also discovered that Lowrider by War is a great song to walk to.

Last night in class I was pleased to discover that I fit comfortably in the chair. You know, those tiny chairs with the desks attached? I hate those but I refuse to sit at the table of shame. All the classrooms have at least one table with a regular chair for people who are too fat to sit in a desk chair. Well, last night I easily slid into the desk chair. That's worth a week of dieting right there.

Nancy said...

Your song is hilareous! I can't wait to hear it in person sometime. Do you accompany yourself on 'uke?
Congrats on sticking to your diet. I'll be joining you one of these days ... soon. You are an inspiration.
And "Low Rider" ROCKS! Absolutely one of the best songs EVER!!!!!

Donita Curioso said...

For some reason all the shuffled songs on my iPod arranged themselves perfectly on my walk. Started off with Cecelia by Simon and Garfunkle. Good pace. It all seemed to gradually ramp up from there with Lowrider coming on at the right time just before the summit. It kicked my ass right up the hill. I'm so glad I got that iPod. It took me a long time to finally get one. It really makes a difference when I'm walking alone.

Nancy, stay tuned (I know you will anyway) and you'll find out just how good this Kaiser program may turn out to be. Right now I'm off to get an EKG. Later I'll go to the class and see if I lost that 3 pounds.

Donita Curioso said...

And yes, I do accompany myself on the uke. That's the way it will be from now on. When I'm working on a song the uke is in my hands.

BluePlastic said...

Since I've been on a diet, I totally am on the page with you on the portion sizes. I look at people's restaurant plates and think, "That could feed a family of four. What the heck are you doing?"

You do have to get used to being hungry. But if you see results, it's worth it.

Anonymous said...

KC, Greg, and I are getting in the habit of splitting something at a restaurant--mostly because we're cheap.

-dean