Thursday, September 18, 2008

Props, props, props

I stayed home from work today. Partly to work on props, but also to be here for the plumber. Hoo boy, big plumbing bill. He changed the faulty main valve and added a new regulator. He unstuck the shower valve. He slowed down the hot faucet leak, but he couldn't stop it completely. The whole thing is just too old and corroded. So, remodeling the second bathroom has become a bigger priority. Puh! He also thinks I should move the water heater outside. A lot of houses in the neighborhood are like that. Boy, I really need that new job.

I've been working like crazy to get these props done. It's going ok, I guess. The hats are about half done, the masks are done and the pocket watches. I did the graphics work (not much, really) for the sing-along signs but I can't burn it onto a disk so I can take it to a copy place and get oversized copies. I emailed it to my work address. I'll go in tomorrow and burn a disk there. Then I'll go to Kinko's, or FedEx, or whatever the hell they're calling it these days, and get the oversized copies made. Then I'll spray mount them onto poster board and reinforce the edges.

I'm going for a walk and then come back and continue the gluing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeow. You are busy. Are you going to have to re-plumb the whole house or just a bathroom?

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

No, just the shower. That's not too difficult, but it can only be done after the wall has been ripped out. I'm planning to do that anyway because I want to change the tile. What's in there now is Pepto Bismol pink with burgundy trim. El Puke-o. I'll also want to replace the sink and vanity top. The sink is old and damaged and the vanity is the same pink and burgundy as the shower. Really, almost the whole bathroom is a gut job. It needs a new floor and probably a new toilet. If I move the water heater outside I can use that closet for bathroom storage.

The leak has been slowed down but I don't know for how long. There's no good band-aid fix for this bathroom. At some point I'm going to have to dive in and start bashing tile. At least now I can turn off the main supply for the house. When I changed the faucet in the other bathroom I had to work while it was still dribbling.

Ugh! Money, money, money.

Anonymous said...

When we moved into the Harris house the water heater was out in the kitchen like a refrigerator or a stove. Why not? It's an appliance. In old movies water heaters are out in the living spaces. I moved ours into a nearby pantry.

-dean

vivage said...

Hey we know a good contractor, let us know if you want Roys phone number. He's priced right too.

Nancy said...

I hope you'll take pictures of your props & put them on the blog!

Donita Curioso said...

I need to remember to take a camera with me tomorrow to the final rehearsal. The hats turned out really well.

Hoo boy I'm tired. Rehearsal went till 11:30. We are NOT ready. People still don't know their music, including me on some songs. We're still iffy on some of the blocking. Oh well.

Bedtime.

Nancy said...

You'll never feel you're ready. (speaking from my VAST experience in performance!)But the audience won't even notice 90% of the bloopers you know about. So have a great show! Have FUN!!! When is it?