Monday, September 08, 2008

Not counting chickens

Both Scotty and Dr.Debbie sent me this job posting at RCC. It's a full-time receptionist job on campus that really seems like a prefect match for me. I've updated my application and Dr. Deb's going to write a letter of recommendation. I really think I have a shot at this one.

But boy, thinking about the possibility of getting it really messed with my head this afternoon. Last night was horrible. I was tossing and turning as the clock kept ticking off the hours. I was awake, awake, awake and totally consumed by worry, frustration and anger. I don't know if it was the bupropion, or my fears catching up to me or a combination of everything that has happened in the last couple years. Whatever it was, it fucked with me good. I had a glass of wine, hoping it would relax me. I got up and had a bowl of cereal, hoping for a carbo crash. Nothing helped. I wanted to cry, but couldn't. And when I did finally get to sleep my dreams were disjointed and awful. My dead kitty, Katie, showed up and made the dream sad. I got up and started making lists, just trying to get the shit out of my head. It was just plain awful.

Today at work it took me about two hours before I felt like I actually arrived. I was doing other things, personal things like faxing forms to Kaiser and Agilent. But it was a good work day and I got to end it by playing around with a graphics program. Tonight was my first American History class so I did the usual school night thing and went to a restaurant for dinner. On my way there I started thinking about the possibility of getting that job. It's full-time and it would more than double my take home pay. It would also be like getting a $500 a month raise because I'd have medical benefits for Paige and me. If I got that job it would be about 2 years sooner than planned. That would do it. That would fix everything. I was thinking wow, what will it be like to not live my life in constant fear? Suddenly I was overcome by a wave of emotion that smacked me good and hard. I started crying, sobbing. My eyes were burning because the eye cream I applied this morning mixed with tears and bathed my eyeballs in stinging chemicals. I could barely drive and there was no place to pull over. I laughed because it was such a ridiculous situation.

I pulled up to a merciful stop light, being careful not to rear-end the car in front of me. I had just cleaned out the car so there were no tissues, no napkins from Del Taco, nothing absorbent I could use to wipe my eyes. Oh well, my blouse was black so I used my sleeve. I had a couple more shudders of weeping and then got to the restaurant. I went to my table wearing sunglasses.

Jeez-o-friggin'-pete! I've been worried and scared and frustrated and overwhelmed and it SUCKS but I thought I was doing ok. I didn't know how truly afraid I was. Just the thought of not having to be afraid was enough to cause an explosion. The release took me over. I do think I have a decent chance of getting that job. It matches my skills and experience pretty well and I have GREAT references. But even if I don't, there was so much value in finding out how much fear I was holding inside of me. Oh man, I feel so much better.

So yeah, I'm not counting my chickens. But tonight at dinner I did make a list of all the stuff I'm going to do when I have money!

8 comments:

vivage said...

I hate doing that looping thing: too much thinking. A good cry helps I think.

I have all my body parts crossed that you get that job.

Hey, btw, you ARE doing ok, having a good cry and dealing with all the stressors in the last couple of years takes a toll: yet you go to wrok, are in school, see family, see friends, are doing a show, take care of your girls (and mates) and your animals and your house. You do a lot more than most of us. Don't be so hard on yourself. You're an achiever.

Anonymous said...

I agree. You are doing better than most would in your situation. You are a very strong person, change is a very humbling experience and many do not hold up as well as you. It's okay to allow yourself the gift of a good break down on occasion. I think we all need it.

Keeps us from going "postal" on those around us.

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you. Love you kiddo.

Anonymous said...

Ralph Nader is right: makeup is dangerous.

When do you interview? Buy yourself whatever clothing and accessories will make you feel great for it. That didn't help me last time, but it's a sound theory.

-dean

Anonymous said...

Donita-
With growth comes BLAGHHHHH!!!!!
Once the BLAGHHHHH! is done, you'll be nice and comfy in your new office and having fun with the $$!
"Yes" them to death at the interview, then once you have the job, you'll figure it out- you're smart :)
Good luck!
Mommala

oogtj- "ouch" with oomph

Donita Curioso said...

Thank you, all of you.

Virginia- I hate it when I need to cry but can't. I need to remember to watch that Free Hugs video when I'm stuck like that.

I don't think I'm being hard on myself. Things are as they are. I know I'm doing a lot and I feel like I'm mostly doing the right things, but I do have this fear that I won't make it. I have a plan and a path but I'm not certain that it's good enough to keep me afloat. Anyway, yesterday really helped.

Bob- Thank you, dearie.

Everyone, I didn't write about going to see Bob in Inherit The Wind. The production was really very well done. Bob played Henry Drummond and he gave a splendid performance. I actually forgot I was watching my friend, Bob.

Dean- I have to submit the application. I can't do it until my boss gets back from a conference. She's going to write me a letter of recommendation. When I submit the application I have to submit everything at once. Jeez, I have to get a resume together. The deadline is Friday.

After the application is submitted it has to go through a whole bunch of people before they decide if they're going to consider you. It could be weeks, although I'm a bit surprised they're only posting the job for a week. Maybe they need someone quick.

Anne- You are so right! Growth causes BLAGHHH!!! I do know that, but it's hard to remember it when the BLAGHHH!!! is staring you in the face. When I'm going through hard times I'll tell myself that it won't always be this way. Someday I'll be on the other side looking back. I have to remember that.

Today was a good day. I went up the Rube this evening. I noticed that it was easier.

Nancy said...

Great news, Doni.I'm excited for you. You deserve security. And they'll be lucky to get you!
Love,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Bob: I demand the right to think like a sponge!

I don't want to aggravate your nerves, but they're only posting the job for a week because they expect to have enough applicants in a short time.

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

Oh, crap. Oh well, submitting the resume is good practice.