Saturday, June 09, 2007

Man of La Mancha

Mostly pretty good. The set and lighting were awesome. I thought the actors were capable but the characters seemed a bit flat. I thought Don Quixote was played too weepy. I like my Dons to be more noble and strong. Aldonza was all anger and rage. Sometimes I expected to see her do that sideways neck movement, wag her finger and say, "Oh no you didn't!" I wanted to see her a bit more sad. Also, her singing was sometimes screechy. I liked the barber. The really gay barber. I liked Sancho. I loooved the dancing horses.

The best part of the show was Bill singing the Knight of the Woeful Countenence song. It's the only time I actually laughed. I'm not just saying that because he's my friend. For most of the show I was just watching actors perform. Bill entertained me.

Boy, there were some powerful voices in that show. I really enjoyed the singing. Especially at the end where they all belted it out together. Woosh!

The stair lowering sound effect was too loud. I didn't like Aldonza's microphone hanging down over her forehead. She should have had some bangs to hide that thing. She looked like an angler fish.

For the first half of the show I sat in the front row. I moved to the back for the second half. I wish I had stayed up front for Bill's song.

Afterward I went to Applebee's for a late dinner. I had a crappy waitress who was extreeeemely friendly but made me wait way too long for just about everything.

Today we're going to finish the bunny cage.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw Man of La Mancha at RCC in the late 70s. It was really fabulous, a couple of notches above a competent college production, as I recall. That's one of my favorite musicals.

--leg

vivage said...

I have this feeling I'm going to be critical of the show. I've seen the thing a jillion times and it makes me crazy to see an angry aldonza and a too decreptic weepy quixote.

but i know i will love seeing bill but will be pissy cuz he isn't doing quixote. LOL.

Donita Curioso said...

Well, the show got a standing ovation so I guess it was good enough for most of the people there. And I would say that this version is a couple notches above your average college production. So maybe I'm being too critical. But really, Aldonza needs to get that microphone off her head.

I would loooove to see Bill as Quixote.

vivage said...

did u finish the bunny cage? Hows the wrist?

Donita Curioso said...

We're very close to being finished. The latches we bought won't work because I'm not a skilled builder and the gaps where the door and the lid sections come together are too wide. We just need to go buy some different latches. Today it will be finished.

The wrist held up ok. Putting the wire on the lids and lining the bottom with chicken wire got my whole left arm pretty tired because I had that heavy drill in my hand all day. But it's my right wrist that's the problem. It also got tired from pulling the wire into place but I didn't tweak it. I couldn't wear the brace because it limited my movement too much. I was just really careful and I took a lot of breaks.

I don't think I'll be doing another project like that for a while. My whole body is aching, especially my neck. Gotta go see Dr. P.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

As I recall, Bill was in that early 70's production too. He was a muleteer alongside Duane Carter, local basso profundo. They het on Little Bird. Aldonza was played by sme girl wh usually played sweet girls, don't remember her name.

My beef with that were the horseheads. They were paper mache and looked like Quickdraw McGraw and Babalooey. The dancing horses should have burlap-looking heads, as if a bunch of prisoners could have maybe whipped them up out of available materials.

Donita Curioso said...

Hey, all you need for paper mache is some paper, water and flour. They could have had those things in prison. And paint. And x-acto blades to cut the holes so the actors could see.

Ok, maybe not.

You're right, they didn't look like anything the prisoners might have made. They looked like a project on the Carol Duvall Show. But they danced divinely.