Saturday, June 02, 2007

Bunny cage

Good golly I'm tired. This kind of project always invloves a lot of walking around gathering tools and materials. We used a lot of salvaged wood that was laying around in different places on the farm. Almost all of the pieces had nails in them which had to be removed. That took a lot of time and effort. Paige and I stained all the wood before using it. I figured that would be easier than staining the whole thing after it was assembled.

Some of the wood was pretty dense and hard to saw and drill. It didn't help that one of the bits was dull. My arms and hands got quite a work-out today. Paige was a total trooper. I even had her do some of the masonry drilling. Working with her was a lot like working with Jim. Her ideas for how things should be done meshed pretty well with mine.

So. So far we've got the main frame built. We tried to attach the chicken wire but it quickly became clear that this stuff is way too wimpy and hard to work with. This isn't the same wire we used when we were building cages in the barnyard all those years ago. I saw a different kind of wire at Home Depot that I think will work better. We'll use the chicken wire to line the bottom of the enclosure. That'll keep the bunnies from digging under the frame. We'll bury some on the outside to keep other critters from digging in.

Not everything is working perfectly and it's not what you'd call an elegant structure but I think so far it looks pretty good. I enjoyed spending the day with my girl. She's had a pretty rough time lately and I think today was good for her.

Whew, that was dirty work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a good friend to the bunny.

--leg

Donita Curioso said...

Well, we can't let them live in those tiny cages. Especially Eddie, the first one, the pink one who was living free on the farm. Before we caught her I would watch her running around in the barnyard and in the Christmas trees. She always had something to eat and since we've got some leaky pipes she always had fresh water to drink. Really, she had a great life. But I would have felt terrible if Boz had caught her. He would have ripped her to shreds.

Paige brings them in the house so they can get some exercise. After that we have to go around vaccuuming up the bunny poop. It's a good thing they shit those little pellets. Much easier than cleaning up after a puppy.

Oh man, my back hurts. Gonna pop some Advil and get back to work. I'll work on it some this morning and then stop to go to ukulele group. I have to go to Home Depot and get that wire.

Oh man, this morning I had one of those dreams that mess you up. I woke up at 7 and took out my mouth guard. Then I dozed off again. I dreamed I was in Oakland and I needed to catch a train to LA. I got a phone call from this guy and while I was getting all flustered talking to him I forgot to buy my ticket. Then I ran to get the ticket and realized I left my shoes back where I had been sitting. They wouldn't let me back through the door so I had to go out to the parking lot. I couldn't find my car, it had been stolen. I saw a friend of mine who had an RV parked nearby. I went in and chatted with her for a while. For some reason I now had Katie with me. As I was leaving I looked at her and saw that she had licked all of the skin off near her incision. She had a gaping hole in her side. Then I went back to the train station and grabbed a train. When I finally got home I went into the living room and saw Rory sitting in the rocking chair talking on the phone. He was wearing pajamas. Hid head was all bandaged up, his face was black and blue and swollen and his arm was in a cast. He had been jumped by some guy who tried to kill him.

Then I woke up. I'll bet I was grinding my teeth like crazy through that dream. Sheesh!

vivage said...

too much time in the sun? heatstroke dream? bunny pellets have some kind of weird grass in them and you're sniffing the fumes as you vacumn?

hope you have sweeter dreams from now on.

Donita Curioso said...

The fumes probably came from the wood stain.

Well, the wire I thought would work wasn't right. The mesh was too large. So we used 1/2 inch hardware cloth. It looks good! But we didn't get much done because I went to uke group this afternoon. I'll keep working on it this week. I want to get it done before we leave for Santa Rosa.

Wow, we're going to Santa Rosa. It's not going to be a huge visit. Dave and Nancy will be in Europe and Lorraine and Danny will be out of town. Most of our time will be taken up with Chelsey and David's wedding. The big visit will be in July. But this will be our first trip up there without Jim.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Donita,

I know we're not in Santa Rosa, but if you find yourself anywhere near Napa, please do come and hang!!!!! Otherwise, we look forward to seeing you in July!!

Dean, Hmmmmm, I'm open to hot water.........
Any chance you can come to CA in July?

I'm not at all surprised that Paige (and Lindsay) think like Jim. He had a wonderful knack of imparting his knowlege on anyone who'd cared to listen!

Mary

Jdfjp - Just do for Jim's people!

Donita Curioso said...

If there's any way I can make it out to see you guys I will. I don't know what everyone's plans are just yet. I'd love to spend some time on your deck drinking wine with the two of you. I'd freakin' love it.