Monday, June 04, 2007

Bulldozer bunny

The cage is mostly finished. I just have to make the two lid sections and attach the hardware. After I got the gate done I put the bunnies in just to see how they liked it. After some initial cavorting, Eddie, the big white bunny, found a corner and started digging frantically. She was a bunny on a mission! The dirt is pretty soft so it took her almost no time to dig under the frame of the cage. Lindsay and I watched her while she dug. She'd dig with her front paws and then turn around and push the dirt out of the way. She pushed with her front paws and shoved her body along with her rear legs. It was pretty funny. Walnut, the smaller bunny, would jump in and help her. Both bunnies were having a ball.

I put them back into their cages and left to go pick up Paige. She was hoping she'd be able to skip lining the bottom of the cage but there's no way we can let that pass. When she got home she filled in the hole and then watched Eddie dig it out again. That bun is a digging fool. So, tomorrow we'll line the bottom of the cage with the chicken wire we were going to use for the sides. Once this thing is finished I think it's going to work really well. The bunnies love the soft, cool dirt and they love having enough room to run around. The lid sections will lift up out of the way so it will be easy to get in there to clean the cage. It's in the shade so they'll be cool in the summer.

Man, my arms are sore. I've been using some sleepy muscles.

5 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Crapola. I hurt my wrist again. I was digging out the dirt in the cage so I could line it with wire and I must have strained it again. It hurts like hell. I'm wearing the wrist brace and last night it took two Vicodins to get me through the night. I iced it before I went to bed. I'm bummed because I was making great progress on the cage and I was probably going to finish it today.

Damn it!

vivage said...

:-( Poor wrist. hope you ice it on and off today, take advil and wear that brace. I think you're gonna have to wear that brace for anything tht concerns lifting more than a large drink for now on.

Donita Curioso said...

I think you're right. It's better today. I'm going to keep babying it for a few days. No digging.

vivage said...

Resting is good, healing is good. Bunnies can wait a while.

Donita Curioso said...

Yep. They do get to use the cage for supervised playtime. Maybe this weekend I'll finish it.