Sunday, June 17, 2007

I'm home.

Man, that's a long drive! I'm so happy to be out of the car.

I had a nice but short visit with Lorraine on Thursday evening. She was leaving early the next morning to go to MO so she couldn't stay up late to chat. But we had a good talk. Friday I went to Napa to see Mary and Jon. That was a GREAT visit. Several bottles of wine bit the dust. We had grilled chicken, veggies and rice out on the deck. We talked and talked and talked. I played some uke for them. I knew I wouldn't be in any shape to drive back to Lorraine's so I came prepared to spend the night. Thanks, guys! That was fun!

Saturday morning I drove back to Lorraine's and picked up Lindsay and Kyle and our stuff. Lindsay said Victoria (Chelsey's mom) needed help with the flowers so I took my nice clothes along and changed at the house. Ah, the house! It's the sweetest little Spanish style house that was built in the 1920s and it belongs to Victoria's cousin and her husband. The yard goes almost straight up a hill. They've terraced it and landscaped it and it's as charming as it can be. Kind of an awkward place for a wedding but it worked out just fine. A very beautiful garden setting.

When we got to the house it was clear that Victoria didn't just need help with the flowers, she needed me to do the whole job. She was running around like crazy (mother of the bride stuff) so I just dove in and made 7 bouquets, 6 boutonnieres, 2 corsages and I don't know how many table arrangements. Two dozen, I think. Lindsay left to get her hair done and Kyle stayed to help me. I showed him how to tape and wire the roses. He did a great job! It all went really well. The flowers were so pretty and they were very fresh.

Chelsey looked amazing. Gorgeous! David's face just lit up when he saw her coming up the steps. Of cousre I started crying when I saw Chelsey (she was crying, too). I was thinking about how Jim would have really enjoyed seeing them get married.

About halfway through the ceremony Lindsay wobbled a bit and sat down on the retaining wall right next to where they were standing. I thought she had lost her balance. She stood up again but not for long. Poor baby passed out! Everyone quickly gathered around her and tried to get her to sit in a chair. She was out cold. Of course people immediately got quite concerned and I could hear some of them asking if she had a medical condition. I turned to the guests and announced that she didn't have a medical condition, that she just fainted. One of the guests was an EMT. He took her pulse and checked her out. After a couple minutes she came around and we were able to get her off the steps and onto the grass. The ceremony resumed. Lindsay lay down on the grass and I ran into the house to get her a pillow for her feet. One of the guests brought her half a banana and some water. The reason she fainted was she hadn't had anything to eat or drink all day. She just got swept up in the preparations and didn't get a chance to eat.

After the ceremony people filed down to check on Lindsay. She was pretty embarrassed and was sorry that she had caused such a fuss. Once everyone was satisfied she was ok they pretty much forgot about it and had a great time for the rest of the day. The food was soooo good! The DJ did a great job. He kept the volume low until it was time to start dancing and even then it wasn't turned up all that loud. It was easy to have a conversation.

It was a wonderful, beautiful day. I'm very happy for Chelsey and David.

This morning we got up and went into Petaluma for breakfast. Then we went back to Lorraine's and packed up. Lindsay is staying for a few more days so she can visit with her friends. Kyle and I drove home.

Going back up in July for the Jim Smith Memorial Jam party and a longer visit.

8 comments:

vivage said...

Oh lord, I feel for Lindsey. When Zoe was little she never wanted anyone to see that she was hurt, she'd say, Mommy, don't let anyone see, don't let them stare at me.

She hated people making a fuss, people staring at her.

I'm glad you were able to help out, helping out in a crisis is really rewarding and fun (imho). And getting to see a wedding that means that much to you is great.

Glad you're home safe (Kyle too). Tell Lindsey to have much fun in her extended visit.

Donita Curioso said...

I hope she's not bored out of her mind. She stayed so she could visit with her friends but they seem to be busy doing other things. She doesn't have a car and she's been pretty much on her own at Lorraine's (they're not home).

Hmmm, the blogs seem to be a bit messed up. On mine and yours they show 0 comments on the posts but when you click on "comments" they show up. Wassup wid dat?

Anonymous said...

Glad everyone had a good time and arrived back safely. Poor Lindsay! That must have been scary and awful for her and you. Kyle arranging flowers??? Latent talent right there- who knew???
Laura will be in Oakland from July 3- July 17 visiting her best friend Esther who goes to school there. Will that coincide with your trip? I think it's not far from where you are going?

vivage said...

I di not know wats up wit dat.

Anonymous said...

I hate getting that sort of attention. Especially since I was totally fine afterwards. Fell over, got up, end of story, please pay attention to the wedding! Least it gave me a good opener for my speech.

I was bored all day sunday, but yesterday Chels and Dave came and rescued me.

Donita Curioso said...

Yay! I'm glad they did.

Anne- Yes, yer boy can be a florist if that cartooning thing falls through! I haven't finalized the date for our trip yet but we will be up there when Laura is in Oakland. They could come to the party if they want. I'm sure Kyle and Lindsay would love that! Oakland's about an hour away.

Anonymous said...

Hey! We just got back from France!

Speaking of party ... Dave & I will call you tonight or tomorrow to discuss the plans.

How long is Lindsay up here? She has our number, right? If she wants to come over, we'd be happy to come get her!

Nancy

Donita Curioso said...

Yay, you made it safely home! I'll want to see lots of pics when we come up. Lindsay is coming home tomorrow so I don't know if there will be time for a visit but I'll let her know.