Tuesday, April 10, 2007

W

Yesterday I had my eyes checked at Costco. I filled out forms before the appointment. Up in the right hand corner of one of the forms were the boxes labled S M W D. I've never paused over those letters before. I just automatically marked the M box. This time I had to stop and think about it. Oh yeah, I'm a W now. Kinda weird how stuff like that comes up. Little things.

And really, for an eye exam I don't see how it's any of their damn business.

My eyes are healthy but old. I like the new machine that blows a puff of air at your eye to test the pressure. No more magic puncture pen. I hate that thing. Boy, my left eye is much worse than the right. No wonder the drug store cheaters don't work so well. I'm looking forward to getting new glasses. I'll be able to read!!!

We went to dinner at BJ's for Lindsay's birthday. Jessica and her friend Lindsay were there! My eyes were still dilated but I could still recognize them from across the room. The other Lindsay came over to our table and requested I sing the Bosom song. I had sung it for them at the Easter party on Sunday. I obliged. It was funny singing that song in BJ's with the pop music playing in the background. Bosom with a beat.

When we got home I went into the bedroom and did a little reading (Harry Potter, The Zone). I was reminded of how uncomfortable it has become. I'll get the glasses in two weeks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah why IS it any of their business?

"Oh you're a W? Well the you'll want the frames with the little black veil attached to the front." :P

Donita Curioso said...

Dean- Oh no! The black W with the red circle around it with a line slashing through! I'm an outcast among liberals! Man, if I can't hang with the tree huggers what will I do?

Lindsay- Hey, I like that. Even better if it has a curtain cord so I can pull it and fling open the drapes. Then I would demurely dab my dewy eyes.

Anonymous said...

But of course you need reading glasses- as does everyone over the age of 45- and actually, the puff of air glaucoma check is not as reliable as the tonometer (the pen thing you didn't like), but at least they DID an interocular pressure check, no matter which method. Hopefully, they also did a visual field screening.
I don't know why they would ask your marital status, though.
We don't ask that in my office-no reason to - we only ask who the insurance holder is.
Why is it taking so long for your glasses?? Should only take a week MAX.

vivage said...

So glad you got your eyes checked and are getting glasses. I'm going to suggest getting frames with rhinestones on them (with or without drapes). I love my teeny sparklers. Wish they were bigger.

p.s. I hate that glacoma puff thing but it sounds like I'd hate the pin thing worse.

Donita Curioso said...

Anne- Yes, they did the visual field screening. They told me two weeks for the glasses but it'll probably be sooner.

Virginia- Hmm, I don't think I'm the rhinestone type. Not on my glasses, anyway. I'd like to spend some time finding some ultra cool frames. The ones I'm getting are pretty basic and they didn't cost much. Heh! I picked them out while my eyes were dilated so they might end up being totally wrong for me! No, no, I think they're ok.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

They ask marital status to save time because, as we all know, love is blind.

Donita Curioso said...

Har!