Monday, April 02, 2007

Crying in Ikea

Today was a really good day. I took Rory to Santa Ana to be trained for his new job at EZ Lube. He had to be there at 8:45 this morning. Traffic was TERRIBLE! But we made it on time. Man, that place was hard to find. It was at the corporate offices. After I dropped Rory off I headed down Harbor blvd. to find a coffee shop so I could get some breakfast. I ended up at a Baker's Suqare just 2 blocks from Disneyland. Crappy breakfast. I decided not to go to Disneyland and go to Ikea instead. I figured it would be cheaper than Disneyland. Heh, heh! WRONG! I spent too much money but I took care of some birthdays and a wedding gift so I'm ok with it.

When I was browsing through the lighting department Paige called. She said she just wanted to tell me that she loved me. I had been thinking about her a lot this morning and I guess she was thinking about me too. She said she really felt like she needed to tell me. So there I am, crying my eyes out in Ikea talking to my sweet girl. Things haven't been so great with us lately. Sometimes we go on thinking everything is ok when it isn't. I was really glad to be able to talk to her about it. It was hard, though. I can't talk and cry at the same time.

Woo hoo, got lots of fun stuff! They have their summer things in. Lots of fun lighting. I did resist the urge to buy this cool patio chair for $89. It's rocker with a circular frame that's strung with bungee cord. When you sit in it it's all bouncy and verrrry comfortable. I didn't like the color, tho. So, instead I got some light strings that look kind of like clear lolly pops, light strings with cool, cute flowers, a new comforter cover (PURPLE!), a hammock, magazine organizers for Kyle, some psychedelic lights for the girls and some other stuff that I can't write about because they're for upcoming birthdays.

After I was finished there I still had about 4 hours to kill. I decided to try to find a movie theater and see Blades Of Glory. Turns out there's a mall with a theater just down the street from Ikea. They had a Nordstrom's closeout store. I found four pairs of silk trousers that were majorly marked down, one of them is a Citron (my favorite label). Squeee! I love wearing silk. The colors aren't quite right but silk dyes easily and they were so cheap I can afford to experiment a little.

Then I had lunch (fish tacos) at this great Mexican restaurant. Then I went to the movie. Yes, Dean, I laughed my ass off! It wasn't a screamer like Borat but at least it was a whole lot easier to watch. I got out at around 4:00, just in time to go pick up Rory. Traffic on the way home was a bitch but we knew that was going to happen. Ah... A day of shopping therapy with a good meal and a fun movie. Time for The Daily Show, jammies and a glass of wine.

12 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Oh yeah, another thing. Last night I had an awful dream. I was out in my driveway next to the agaves. This monstrously ugly man stepped out from behind the palm tree and grabbed me. It happened very fast, no time to react. I couldn't get away from him. Then I woke up. Ugh! It left me with a sick feeling in my chest.

vivage said...

I love Paige for calling you. Even if you were crying in Ikea.

I resist the temptation to go to Ikea. I am very powerful in that area, I only go there once every 3 yrs. And I will never, ever buy any furniture we have to put together.

But I Love, Love, Love all the little things like lights and kitchen things - don't get me started in there.

Ydrjp: Begone monsterously ugly man chant.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh- I know about crying in the store. I was Christmas shopping in JC Penney's when Kyle called to tell me the landlady kicked him out of his apt. 1 week before Xmas and I started bawling- this was after his whole car ordeal if you remember-we were so fortunate he had (has) you to help. I felt so helpless being here and him there.
We don't have IKEA but we do have Pier 1 Imports which is equally tempting :)

teccjd: unable to figure out electronic things

Donita Curioso said...

Ooh, Anne, the next time you guys come out here we must go to Ikea. It's like Disneyland. Well, no, it's not like Disneyland but it is a shopper's paradise full of cheap stuff that looks expensive.

Aw, I can just see you crying in Penney's.

Virginia- We haven't bought much furniture there but we do have a few pieces. Jim and I would always make a project of putting them together. Kind of a nice way of spending an afternoon.

Has it been three years yet? Wanna go? The Ikea sirens are calling you...

Heh! Crying has become a way of life now. I just don't care anymore if people see me crying. I was all red-eyed when I asked this employee where I could find the right light bulbs for a lamp I bought. She got them for me pronto!

All through the store I was humming the Jonathan Coulton Ikea song. "Everyone has a home, if you don't have a home you can buy one THERE".

vivage said...

It's been about 2 years. I'm still stinging from buying 2 beds: one that was put together, the other not. The one we put together is already gone (tossed away to the dump) and the other is being stored. And me and the hub rarely have good times putting things together. LOL. So I've learned (finally) to not do those kinds of projects together.

I imagine that clerk saying, "Yeah, this lady was really upset because she couldn't find the right light bulbs, it looked like she was crying over it."

Yeah, I could be tempted to go to Ikea. Especially if I didn't have to buy anything that I have to put together!

Donita Curioso said...

Let's go!

One of things I will miss about Jim is doing projects together. We were always so good that way. Home improvements, Halloween, music, just about anything. It was just a pleasant way of spending time together. Our different creative gifts meshed well.

Oh well. This is a new life.

vivage said...

It's so nice to hear that you two could work together on projects like that.

When do you want to cruise Ikea?

Donita Curioso said...

Whenever you want. I'm available most any time. We can make a day of it. There are lots of good restaurants close by. We could go to lunch and then Ikea.

vivage said...

Ok, will have to be a weekend day or if we wait til after my surgery we can go on a weekday. But I don't have a date for that yet.

vivage said...

"but I did cry in my kitchen trying to put together the thing from hell that I BOUGHT at Ikea."

We cuss instead.

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- You name it. I'm not available next Saturday because Paige has a drumline thing. This Saturday is fine. Or we can wait until you're off for surgery and we can go during the week. Less crowded that way. I just think it would be a nice way for us to spend an afternoon together. I like talking to you, Virginia. I think our appreciation of design is similar. We make each other laugh and we have a lot in common.

Or we could go when Michele is here. She has her own interesting point of view.

Dean- I could NOT stop laughing at that peacock costume. The theater was almost empty but all of us were laughing our heads off. That's when I knew this was going to be a good movie. I was thinking, "Yes! They got me!"

Did you ever see that great sink we got from Ikea? We installed it in our bathroom in Santa Rosa. I'm pretty proud of that bathroom. We had to do some dinking around because the sink had weird Swedish connections (insert joke here) but the whole thing turned just great and was totally worth the effort and sweat. Anyway...

I'm not afraid of putting stuff together. It's not like it's an Interocetor or something. (See MST3K, The Movie)

vivage said...

Ok, I'll let you know what works for me and we'll see what date works.

I'm not afraid to put things together either...just not with the hub. LOL.
nykid=naked in ny