Sunday, June 12, 2005

I want to get a job.

I've been in a funk. I don't like the way my life has been going and I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it. It was a quagmire of stuckness. I figured it out tonight. Getting a job would take care of some of my issues.

1. I've been feeling a little socially deprived. Ok, more than a little. If I had a retail job I would be talking to lots of different people every day. Retail has always been considered to be a crap job but I actually enjoy it.

2. We're running out of money. Nothing serious yet, but it's on the horizon. I'm not likely to get a job that will support us but it will extend the finances and take some of the pressure off.

3. Getting a job would be creatively stimulating. Especially if it were in a craft supply store. There's one in Hardman Center. Nice and close. Anyway, if I can work some place like Busy Bee or Michael's or even Aaron Bros. I'd be right in the middle of it every day. I love helping people figure out they're craft dilemmas. Once I spent half an hour at Michael's helping these three women pick out paper colors to back some posters they had. I gave them a whole freakin' lesson on color. They bought about $60 worth of paper. I enjoy stuff like that. Michael's really should hire me.

4. I feel I have a lot to offer a place like that. I've spent the last 30 years learning many different crafts. I also have a good design sense. I'm good at figuring out how to build things from scratch. I'm also good at teaching others what I know. I'm good with kids. I've done floral work, cake decorating, painting, ceramics, beading, silk painting, graphic design, silk screening, pottery, sculpting, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. I've made props for shows. I made a fabulous red hat for a woman in Texas. I've put weddings together. Don't even get me started on Halloween.

5. It would get me off this hill. Dad is doing well right now and he doesn't need me so much. That's not going to last forever. The time is coming where I'll be more tied down. I need to do this now.

6. The people I work for might be willing to sell my paper. If it's right, I'll ask them.

Thinking this out greatly improved my mood. Suddenly the world is full of possibilities.

Gotta do some stuff first. We need to pin down when we want to go to Santa Rosa. I need a haircut. Some new clothes couldn't hurt. New shoes, too.

Yes, I'm better now.

6 comments:

vivage said...

Ha! I need a job too. I have run out of money so yeah, get a job before you do run out of money.

And I hope you get a job at Michaels. They really need help out there cuz nobody ever knows where anything is. I was just out there tonight and I swear it took 4 people to locate one little item. The woman who's assigned to that section had no idea what we were talking about (liquid latex). I figured it was near the polymer clay...and yes, thats where it was supposed to be but it wasn't. The 4th lady finally found it on that aisle (17b in case you're interested, but it was cleverly hidden behind other stuff.

Yes, on Michaels.

Donita Curioso said...

Michael's would be ok. I know what you mean about them not knowing where stuff is. I wonder how much training their employees get.

I like the idea of working at Busy Bee. It's actually kind of a crappy store. It's like they can't figure out who their customers are. They have a lot of model making stuff on one side of the store and the rest of it is crafts. But it's hit and miss. It's a mom and pop kind of place. They need me.

I used to work at as art supply store in Santa Rosa named Rileystreet. It catered mainly to professional graphic designers but it carried all kinds of fine art supplies. You couldn't get everything there but each section carried a complete selection of supplies. You didn't have to run around town looking for that one thing. It was a great store.

I did the graphics for their newsletter. That was fabulous. I'd work on it after hours. It was like working in the biggest, best studio in town. If I ran out of something, BAM it was right there. I also did all the photostat work. Heh, heh! My skills are obsolete. Everything is Photoshop these days.

vivage said...

I think Busy Bee is family operated. Meaning, I don't think they run it with anyone but the family members who own it. I go there every once in a while and there is rarely anyone in there shopping. I've only talked to 2 different clerks there, a woman who talks too much and the guy who also runs the model/hobby section.

I'd love to work in a place like Rileystreet. Sounds ideal. You'd think we'd have something like that. You know Watercolor West is based here in town and there are tons of watercolorists but no really great art store. Bud Rickarts but that lady is cranky (follows u around like you're going to steal everything)and for the last month or so it's been closed (moving? Closing for good? I don't know).

Donita Curioso said...

Ew, ew, ew, that woman in Rickert's is ca-reeepy! I hate going in there.

Rileystreet was a great place to work except for a couple things. We had a pretty good crew except for extreme bitch woman, stupid girl and snotty girl. Everyone else was fun. The owner was too much of a wimp to fix the problem so we had to put up with them. Most of the customers were professional artists and were way fun to talk to. Working at that store should earn you college credit. You learn so much.

Well, I'll go to Busy Bee anyway and drop off a resume. Maybe they'll want me for Christmas help.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Have you ever thought about teaching craft courses somewhere like RCC Community Outreach?Probably pays crap. But it might lead to other similar gigs. Just a thought.

Donita Curioso said...

Good idea.