Sunday, June 19, 2005

Happy Father's Day

It's been a weird one.

The Smith boys and wives and kids drove out to Palm Desert today to visit Kenny and take him to lunch. Bernie was recovering from some kind of diabetic attack (we couldn't have cared less) so she stayed home. We were able to enjoy a nice lunch with Pop.

When we first got there we sat for the required chitchat before lunch. Bernie asked Paige if she dyed her hair. There was a little confusion about the question since Paige's hair has been the same color for a long time and Bernie only saw her a couple months ago. I said that yes, she did dye it but it's been a while. Bernie turned to me and basically, in so many words, told me to shut up. She was having her own conversation with Paige and didn't need my help. We were all a little stunned. I did the thing where you flip someone off by using your middle finger to scratch your forehead. I think Kenny saw me do it. I'm pretty sure he was ok with it. He knows how we feel about her.

After lunch we went back to the condo for more of that delicious chitchat. After listing for another excruciating hour we managed to say goodbye and get the hell out. It was hot and I was thirsty so I suggested we go to a drive through and get some drinks. We went to a Carl's Jr. The stupid girl at the window tried to give Jim the drinks in a torn cardboard drink holder. The drinks all fell out and one of them spilled all over Jim's seat and the floor. Instead of dealing with it, the retard just moved away from the window laughing. We pulled over so we could get the mess cleaned up. Sherri and I went back into the restaurant to get more drinks and a towel. Sherri chewed out the manager. She's awesome.

While we were doing that Jim was trying to clean up the mess. Some people pulled up and parked right next to him even though he asked him to park in the next space over so he could have some room. There was some minor bitching that took place between Jim and those people just as Sherri and I came out. It was one of those things where you have a stupid little disaster happen and all you wanted to do was something simple like get a few drinks. We left there one drink short! We did get a note from the manager promising to pay to have the car cleaned.

It was just one of those irritating days that you just have to get through.

The gig last night was much more fun. The party was at this house with a tiny back yard. It was a retirement party and there were about 50 people there. It had a 50s theme and some people actually dressed up for it. We started playing at 7 but people didn't start dancing until about 9:30. We were supposed to quit at 10! They were having a lot of fun so we played until about 10:30. We all had a good time. The food was reeeally good.

So, this was another weekend of overindulgence. Tomorrow, back to it! Mt. Rubidoux tomorrow night. Cut back the calories. Ooh! Jim and I could really feel a difference in how much energy we had last night. All that exercise is really paying off.

9 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Ok, when I wrote that this afternoon the diet hadn't yet been kicked ALL the way to the curb.

It is now.

We went back to Ken and Sherri's and had some drink and nosh. Jim wasn't feeling too well when we left (a little overchilled and his leg was hurting- shin splint) so I went to the store for some treats.

After the fiascos today it just seemed right to let ourselves go a bit. I've been depriving my family of life's gastronomic pleasures for quite a while now. I bitch, whine and cajole, trying to get them to stay away from the bad stuff. But any exposire to Bernie requires the healing miracle of chocolate and Ben and Jerry's is a great delivery system.

I can't quite describe how I feel right now.

I feel blobby.

vivage said...

I'm dying over the required chitchat. I hate that.

I also hate soda and ice in my lap. Not the best way to cool off, in fact would probably heat me up enough to turn into a screamer.

I might also have had to leave some ice on the car parked next to you. Yeah, you've got to get out of the parking lot before they get out but somehow the slightly malicious but not harmful ice meling on their car would have made me feel better.

I never dance at parties until I've had a drink or two. So yeah, 9 seems right to me. :-)

Ya know the reasons diets fail is because if you totally 100% don't give yourself a break and have a little sinful delight it will go to hell in a handbasket. So indulge every once in a while and you won't go overboard in the long run.

Donita Curioso said...

Required chitchat isn't so bad if there are socially normal people involved. You should meet this woman. Scratch that. NOBODY should be subjected to spending one minute with Bernie.

We do take little breaks from the diet just to maintain sanity. But this weekend was just too much. It might take me a week to recover from this one. So, ok, back to it. I'm walking with Jeff tonight.

vivage said...

Maybe it's because her name is Bernie? I knew a woman named Bernie once and any conversation w/ her was gawd-awful. I used to move away if she was anywhere near me just so I wouldn't have to hear her comments.

Have you ever noticed that some names have particular personalities attached to them?

Donita Curioso said...

Maybe it's the same woman! Bernice Griffin? She used to teach in Riverside and she had a couple of pre-schools. You know those stone houses on Indiana? Two of them were hers. They were painted different colors, like gingerbread houses. Imagine, PAINTING those stone houses.

vivage said...

Nope, not the same woman. I do remember those painted rock houses tho. I used to love them and was aghast at painting them. I always wondered about the person who'd do such a thing.

Donita Curioso said...

An asian woman named Bernie. That's unusual.

Bernie Griffin is from Wisconsin. After knowing her for 20 years I've grown to hate that accent. HATE!

It's hard enough listening to James Sensenbrenner because he's an evil prick. But he's also got that accent. He and Bernie are some kind of cheesehead nightmare.

vivage said...

I can honestly say I don't know anyone with a wisconsin accent. Although I do have some cheesehead acquaintances.

Anonymous said...

Well, I know a guy named Bernie, and he didn't sit very well with me, either!

Mary