Monday, June 27, 2005

Curtain Fabric Experiments

This is the first experiment with the fabric paints.

The lighter areas are where the glue is. The orange color is really copper metallic paint.




The second experiment.

Getting the hang of it here. Again, the lighter areas show the reaction of the wet paint when the glue is applied. It's kind of like a resist in reverse. I like the interesting bleeding effect.



These haven't been heat set yet. I'm going to heat set them and then wash them. It'll be interesting to see how much color comes out with the glue. These aren't the colors I'll be using. I'm going for a warmer palette.

7 comments:

vivage said...

ooooooooOOOOOOO! I likes em very much.

On the top image the glue applied first and then paint? Was the glue dried? On the second you applied glue after the paint?

They are very cool. Purses, yes purses made with this technique would be coooool.

Donita Curioso said...

The squiggly line at the bottom of the first image is glue that was applied first and allowed to dry. In the second image the paint was applied first and then th dots of glue while it was still wet. The glue displaced some of the color.

Yes, purses. I had that same thought.

Donita Curioso said...

The pieces I worked with are about 10x14 inches. I cropped a bit off the photos. Yeah, it would take a long time to cover the full piece of fabric. That's another good reason to use the Gocco. It would be like a huge rubber stamp that re-inks itself. That part would go pretty fast. The actual painting will take some time. But once I get the basic design mapped out I can just go nuts with the paints and dyes.

Sewing! THAT is what I am not looking forward to.

vivage said...

Fabric glue, she says.

Donita Curioso said...

Yeah, that would probably work for the side seams and hems. Then I'd just have to sew the rod pocket.

Thanks. You've saved me some work.

vivage said...

Good. Casings are easy...as long as they're big enough for the curtain rod. bwhahahah.

Donita Curioso said...

Yep! I've made that mistake before.