Monday, August 25, 2008

Blogging from work

I'm subbing across the hall for a couple hours. I am alone, alone, alone. So, I blog.

Yesterday's show rehearsal was a bit strange. Drama lawyer decided to be nice to me. I guess we're buddies now. I wonder what clicked in her head?

I'm still really enjoying my kittens. They're a constant source of entertainment. Lio is a total love monster. I've never had such an affectionate cat. Ivy is getting more friendly. Last night I had both of them curled up next to me, which is unusual for Ivy. It's fun to watch her play. She moves more like a monkey than a cat.

I have to take Gracie to the vet tomorrow morning. We had all the dogs shaved at the beginning of the summer. Boz and Lady are starting to look wooly but Gracie's hair doesn't seem to be growing back. The fur on her head and neck is, and she has some goofy-looking patches of longer hair on her body, but for the most part she is still pretty bald. Otherwise, she seems ok.

I've upped the dose of my antidepressant to two pills a day. I was told the appetite suppressant affect would probably wear off after a few weeks, and that is what has happened. I seem to be doing ok on the bigger dose, ecxept it does mess with my sleep pattern. Lio's no help there. He thinks four in the morning is the perfect time for a cuddle. At the end of September I'm starting on a six month long, medically supervised, weight-loss program. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I worry about failure. I do like the idea of getting through Thansgiving and Christmas without gaining weight.

Gonna go see Dad after work. After that I'll hit the Rube.

8 comments:

vivage said...

The sleep thing ought to go away soon. From the DA's I mean.

That's pretty cool that you're doing the doc supervised program. Give you some good guidance I think. One of the girls here has done that and has lost 48 lbs since April and is keeping it off too.

Anonymous said...

I bet Gracie has low thyroid. That happened to... um... which damn dog was it? Anyway, the vet said it happens all the time: the first sign of thyroid trouble is when a dog's summer hair cut doesn't grow back.

Well, KC's medically supervised weight loss program was a huge success for a few years. I think her health is better for it, and she felt FABULOUS while the weight was melting away. She bought a new wardrobe and travelled. She said the most helpful things about it were the meetings and the food diary. Do you eat packaged food? KC did these shakes and that's ALL she could eat, but she could eat all of that she wanted, and she could make puddings and crepes out of them and that helped. In fact, they told her to eat as much as she could stand, getting hungry is bad. It worked.

Good luck!

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia and Dean- Wow, that's pretty encouraging news. This program includes free counseling for life. That ought to help. I'm doing the shake thing except I'll be eating a low-calorie, regular meal for dinner.

Low thyroid, eh? I wonder how expensive that will be?

Anonymous said...

Carl has low thyroid, which showed up as high cholesterol and numb fingers and hair loss/premature graying. That was when Laura was an infant. After he went on thyroid meds, no more high cholesterol! or cold fingers - the hair loss and graying were not reversible ;( Have you had your thyroid checked? His Drs. redid all the tests because they couldn't believe he was still walking around functioning with such low readings.
mommala

Anonymous said...

Testing to find out if thyroid is low... I don't remember. Probably $45 and then whatever shots and other tests and x-rays they can talk you into. But the thyroid med itself is very cheap. It's one of the cheap ones.

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

Anne- They checked for thyroid stuff when I had my last blood panel done. I know it isn't the most thorough test but I'm probably ok there. I take kelp tablets for thyroid support and I think it helps.

Puh! When I went to Mt. Rubidoux tonight I lost my car key. I had to call Lindsay and have her bring me the spare. It's the only one I have now. A new one will cost $50!

vivage said...

*Puh! When I went to Mt. Rubidoux tonight I lost my car key.* boooo

*I had to call Lindsay and have her bring me the spare.* yay

*A new one will cost $50!* boooo

~Mood swings~

Anonymous said...

Somebody tell me, please, how $50 keys have improved our lives, and include car theft statistics: i.e., that thefts have gone down since the advent of the $50 key, because I bet they haven't.

And cell phones... has cellular-ness improved our lives? Now everybody has a home number, a work number, and a cell number, and they never answer any of them. And when they do, the reception sucks and the bill is three or four times what it used to be for a single land line whose number you had memorized for decades. Cell phones would be no advantage at all if the phone companies weren't tearing out all the pay phones.

-dean