Sunday, August 17, 2008

A full weekend

Thursday after work I picked up Lindsay and we drove to LA so see the Dodgers game with the Carrozza's. I hadn't been to a baseball game in thirty-something years. It was really fun. It was nice to just hang out with them in the stands. And hey, bonus, the Dodgers won. Getting out of the parking lot after the game took about a year.

On Friday I drove down to Laguna to see Lorraine and her mom. They had come down for a wedding. We met at their hotel and went into town and knocked around the shops. I hadn't been to Laguna Beach in a very long time. It was so cool to see what other artists are doing. Lots of inspiration in those gallery shops. Lorraine's friend, Joanne, and Joanne's daughter were also along for this jaunt. I guess it was too much Philly all in one place because things were a bit tense between them. Lorraine and Louise said they were VERY glad to see me because I'm such a calming influence. I know what they meant. I like Joanne, but she can be a bit much. We had a reeeeally good lunch and one of the trendy Laguna restaurants, did a little more shopping and then I came home.

Jeff, Bill and I were playing at Maui Wowie that night. They were having a Hawaii Statehood celebration event. We were playing for pay this time. I got there pretty early so I went to the crappy Chinese place next door and got a crappy fried rice thing. I ate about 4 bites of it and threw the rest away. Then I went next door and met the guys.

We played for about an hour. Then it was time for us to take a break and some hula dancers came on. While they were setting up I sat on the sofa with Zoey and talked to Virginia, who was sitting in a chair next to us. Some old guy (asshole) came in and asked us if we were going to hog the seating area. It was one of those stupid things where you're not sure if someone is kidding or serious or what. We were just sitting down. Hogging the seating area? WTF? We kind of went back and forth with him, making silly comments, trying to keep it light. Then I guess he got disgusted and turned to leave. I said, "Hey, there's room for one more on the sofa here." He said, "I'm here to see hula dancing, not belly dancing" and walked out. I turned to Zoey and said, "Wow, did you hear what he just said?" The three of us were a bit stunned.

I don't know how that whole thing was for Virginia and Zoey, but for me it was one of those things were it took me a while to figure out what had just happened. I always expect people to behave in a normal and generally friendly way, so when someone is intentionally cruel it always floors me. It took me a while to really clue in. I finally did and spent the next hour fighting tears. What a fucker. He and his family sat at a table outside the door. I took a good look at him. He was an ugly, old sonofabitch who was sporting a beer gut. I didn't know if he was someone who was connected to the shop in some way. He might have been a relative of the owners, I just didn't know. But I don't think he was. I think what he really wanted was a place for his mother/wife/old-woman-family-member to sit down. If he had said, "Is it alright if my old-woman-family-member sits down here?" we would have been happy to accommodate him. Hell, we would have moved and let his whole family sit there. But what are you supposed to do when someone walks up from nowhere and asks if you're hogging the seating area? Like he had some special right to it. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to throw a smoothie in his face.

Actually, what I really wanted to do was confront him in front of his family. But that day we were the hired entertainment and it would have been inappropriate to pick a fight with one of the customers.

Ok, Mindy just called. I gotta go. We're having dinner with the Butchers. I'll finish this later.

12:17am. I'm back.

Anyway, I held it together and didn't give in to the tears. Just before we were to start playing again Molly and Joe showed up with Mindy and Ty. Drew wandered in a few minutes later. Ah! People who love me! I hadn't expected to see them that night. We started playing and ended up having a really good time. We even played for almost an hour longer than we were supposed to. I'm glad we were able to end the evening on a high note.

On Saturday I hung around here for most of the day. That afternoon I headed up to Stacey's and hung out there for a little while. Then I went to Maui Wowie for the second night of our world tour. No hula dancers this time. No assholes, everyone was nice. Got paid. I do enjoy playing with Jeff and Bill.

Today I had show rehearsal. I'm starting to get to know these people and I must say I don't like most of them. I don't like it when people waste time screwing around or chatting. One woman was being pretty bitchy and at one point covered her ears in a dramatically obvious way because she thought I was singing too loud. Really, I wasn't, but because she can't read music she was having trouble learning her part. Later she took offense at a lawyer joke that was in one of the songs. I guess that means she's a lawyer. The song was A Little Priest from Sweeney Todd. It mentions lots of different kinds of professions and describes how they might taste in a meat pie. As soon as she heard the word lawyer she said, "Hey!" and gave the director a dirty look. Then later she got all bothered about a stage direction he gave her. Jeez, what bullshit.

After that I met the family at a Korean restaurant. I walked in just as Joe was chatting with the waitress and ordering the meal for all of us in Korean. That was pretty cool. Joe was stationed in Korea for several years and speaks Korean fluently. I could tell he was having the time of his life talking with the staff. And the meal was reeeally good. Every table has a grill set in the middle so you cook the meat yourself. We had a really good time. After that we went back to Stacey's for dessert and to watch the Olympics on Tivo. Dede showed pictures of their Alaska trip. Another fun evening with my awesome family.

12 comments:

Nancy said...

Usually people who come to see hula have the Aloha Spirit.

vivage said...

He was one of the family members of one of the hula dancers. So what? We all bought drinks, we had a right to sit there.

I dismissed his asshole comment right away. I sorta hoped he'd complain to Chris so I could get in his face.

The Zoester was floored by his rudeness and we chose to stay right where we were, it ain't like the guy is a customer and the Zoester buys stuff there all the time so fuck 'em!

Really, ya gotta let that kind of thing go. It's not worth the emotion.

Anonymous said...

Was he the same guy who stopped in front of us while we were performing and made that comment? He gave us each a name and yours was kind of rude, in a childish way.

jeff

Donita Curioso said...

Nancy- No Aloha spirit there. No spirit at all. Just pure dickishness.

Virginia- Not worth the emotion but it hit its mark just the same. Not that easy to dismiss. It really caught me off guard. It was pretty weird that he thought he was entitled to those seats. I wish I had known who he was.

Jeff- I don't remember a guy who gave us names. What did he look like? This guy was older, kind of short with a beer gut and was wearing a white t-shirt and glasses.

vivage said...

I'm not dismissing that it hit the mark for you. I wish it didn't. What I think is weird is not his thinking he's entitled to those seats but he's entitled to say asshole things.

And the reason he does, is because it gets him results. Either people move or get their feelings hurt. Either way, he's learned to target and manipulate.

What I am trying to say is don't buy into the shit. He is nothing to you or to your life. His comment has no value so don't give it any.

Donita Curioso said...

True.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, like the time that lady (NOT a lady, actually) came up to me at one of your performance parties and commented on the baaaeenns at the food table. Remember? My partying brain thought the way she said it sounded so interestingly funny that I repeated it just to try it out. She practically offered to kick my ass! What was such an uptight bitch doing at one of those parties anyways? (She probably crashed it!) Hell, it was nearly 20 years ago, and I STILL remember it. I don't talk to strangers much any more..... even ones who come up to me and try and start conversation. I've learned to believe that they're just not happy people. That guy would've barked at anyone sitting in those seats - he should've gotten there earlier and tried a nicer approach - duh. Good for you to not move!!! And you can bet that he grumbled his way all through the dancing and probably at least 1/2 way home. And right now he's probably being rude to someone else. Yep, HE sure knows how to enjoy life! Ha ha to him!

Glad you got to see Lorraine!!! I haven't heard the trip stories yet!

Mary

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that guy's whole strategy is surprise and retreat. Once he's laid out the insult he has to get outta there while you're confused. Everybody's had more than a few of those.

Your description of the offended lawyer is hilarious: a drama attention queen. Everybody's had more than a few of those, too.

-dean

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

i think that was the guy--kinda scrawney, but with a beer gut. He walked by and gave us each a name and the one he gave you was the kinda thing a person would only say if he were an asshole or someone who was trying to be funny beyond his skills. It was after the dancers had begun to arrive. If we do this again and he shows up, we can hurl insults at him or something.

Donita Curioso said...

Jeff- Boy, my mind must have been somewhere else. I really don't remember that. If I ever see him again I'll be ready for him. He won't get out of there unscathed.

Mary- Those people were the ones who showed up with their band. They wanted us to PAY them! They weren't even invited! The lead singer was so full of herself that no one enjoyed listening to her. That was pretty weird. I was VERY uncomfortable having them in our house. Nancy and a friend were both pregnant at the time. Remember we had hay bales in the yard for people to sit on? I went in the house and brought out our mission rocker and another comfortable chair for them. Almost immediately two of those bitches plopped themselves down in those chairs. We had to tell them to move their white trash asses and let the preggers sit down. I was so glad when the whole group left.

Dean- Here's another funny story about the drama lawyer. The director was trying to stage one of the songs. At one point we're supposed to leave the stage and walk out into the audience and sing to them. There are 9 of us and he wants us to spread out in a big circle around the room. He said, "Now, to get into position you're going to have to move fast. Just walk with the beat and you'll make it." She said, "We'll mow each other over! We can't do that! We'll be bumping into each other." He said, "No, just walk to the beat and everyone will stay apart." She said, "No! That won't work! Everyone has their own idea of what a beat is!"

What a dumb ass.

Anonymous said...

She's right because as we all know, everyone walks to a different beat!

Mary

Anonymous said...

I can't believe she's gotten this far in life without someone demonstrating to her a beat.

dean