Monday, September 03, 2007

I don't know if I should believe him on this...

This morning I closed up Dad's house and turned on the AC. Just now when I went over there to do evening meds the AC was off and the house was wide open. I didn't think he'd just leave it on. I told him I was there to help him with his pills. He said he had started looking for them at 4:00 but couldn't find them. Of course they were right where they should be.

As I was leaving he said, "I've been trying to fix these lights here." He pointed to the lights in the tv room. That's when I noticed the ladder. "I've been crawling around all over up there". I said, "Up where?" He said, "Up there! In the attic." I said, "WHEN?" He said, "Just now. I just got out."

I told him he should NOT be up in the attic. I also told him he shouldn't be up on a ladder. He did his usual cocky I've-been-doing-it-my-whole-life thing. Now, the ladder that was in the tv room was a small, step ladder. If that's the one he used to get into the attic I don't know how the hell he did it. But if he really is climbing up into the attic we need to do something about it. I'm going to try to steal that ladder.

I've been waiting for something like this to happen. His judgment is like, gone.

5 comments:

vivage said...

* I'm going to try to steal that ladder.*

Can he actually get into the attic using a sm stepstool? Seems like it wouldn't really be tall enough (but maybe the entrance is really low?). Cuz if you steal the ladder will he try to use something else? Or will the missing ladder be the trigger for a paranoid fit? I guess he might forget about any of it.

And was there something wrong w/ the lights? Just curious.

Donita Curioso said...

It's a bar of spotlights and I guess they're not working. I don't know what the problem is and I didn't explore it.

This morning I asked him about going up into the attic. He said he hadn't been up there in years. I said, "Last night you told me you were crawling around up there." He said, "No, that was DAYS ago. Last night I just looked around up there."

He really doesn't know when he was doing anything. He could probably stand on the step ladder and look around up there. But last night he did say he was crawling around all over the place in the attic.

I think if he didn't have the ladder handy he'd look for it until he got sidetracked and forgot about it. That seems to happen a lot. I don't think it would trigger paranoia because he'd forget about it so quickly. His attention span can be measured in microseconds these days. This morning he put his pills in his mouth and instead of reaching for his water cup he grabbed his comb and ran water over it and started combing his hair. I had to tell him to drink some water. Even with a mouth full of dry pills he couldn't remember to drink. The comb was in front of him so that's what he focused on.

So, I don't know. He probably wasn't crawling around in the attic last night. But he did say he wants to get up there and see what he has. He does have several full-sized ladders around his place. We should probably round them up and put them someplace he won't find them. And I will try to get that step ladder. If he tries to use it on his tile floor it could slip. I dunno. Using a chair could be worse. I'll talk to the sibs about it. He just shouldn't be climbing up on ANYTHING.

Anonymous said...

Boy, he's really taken a big slide recently hasn't he?

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

Oh yeah.

It's kind of funny. Whenever I try to remind him of something he did or said he acts like I'm out of my mind. He denies everything. No amount of arguing will change his mind. So now if I can't get him to understand something I have to drop it pretty quick or he'll get mad. He gets to win every argument!

Donita Curioso said...

This afternoon when I wasn't home Dad called and told Lindsay to tell me he wants 50 pounds of ice. She doesn't know why.

I just think that's funny.

Tonight when I went over to do evening meds he said, "You've never done this before. Why are you here?" I said, "I've been doing this for the last few days, Dad. You've been forgetting your pills so now I'm coming over to help you." When he took his pills he said, "Well, I think most of these are bullshit". But at least his attitude was cheery. This morning he was pissed at the graders. He said they're starting at four in the morning. I told him that legally they can't do that. I've never heard them start any earlier than 7:30. He just pulls stuff out of the air.