Thursday, September 27, 2007

Be a swan

Last night at Joe's we had a fun waitress. She was quite jolly and joked around a lot. When she brought us our drinks the tray was heavy with four large glasses and our cucumber salads. After she unloaded the tray she shook her arm. I said, "Yeah, that must have been pretty heavy." She said, "My mother always told me you must be like a swan. Above the surface, grace and beauty. Below, lots of kicking and hard work." We all thought that was a pretty cool metaphor.

I was thinking about that on my walk this morning. I am awesome. I woke up at 5 and decided that after last night's huge sushi dinner and birthday cake and ice cream the best thing I could do for myself would be to get my ass up the Rube. I'm so glad I did that. Anyway, I was thinking about what being a swan would look like for me. I've been working a lot on getting ideas for future Michael's classes. I've got one that's completely ready to go and another one that I'm developing. I've thought about how I want to present myself, how I'm going to dress. One one episode of The Office there was a scene where the women all had a meeting with the power bitch from corporate. She told them, "Don't dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want." I know that saying has been around for a long time but I hadn't heard it in a while. Apparently none of the women at Michael's has ever heard it. I think it makes a lot of sense. I already have some nice clothes but I'm going to buy more.

As I was walking and thinking about all this I passed a couple of women on their way up. We smiled and said good morning. Then one of them made power fists and said, "VICTORY OF THE DAY!!" Yes, getting up that mountain that early in the morning was my victory of the day. Now I had a new phrase to think about.

So, be a swan and have a victory every day. I can cruise with that for a while.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My morning victory is swimming in Barton Springs, and it's easy to do, too, but I count it anyway. Man what a difference it makes in the whole rest of my day. It's easier to enjoy the little victories that come along during the rest of the day when you spent the morning awash in endorphins.

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

Swimmint at Barton Springs totally counts as a victory. You're doing it consistently every day. I was thinking about that also this morning. Hiking the Rube is great and I enjoy it but swimming must be doing marvelous things for you.

Mmmmm, endorphins....

Donita Curioso said...

Swimmint? Now, THAT's refreshing!

vivage said...

It's a victory every morning when I crawl out of bed. Although I never celebrate that moment.

Maybe I need a swimmint instead?

Donita Curioso said...

I need to find my victory for today. It might be just getting through it. I have to go to Loma Linda and Pick up some meds for Dad. I have to paint that prop and I have to finish the flyer for my class. Tomorrow is my first day. I'm going to demo the class for 3 hours. This is NOT paid time. I'm going to sit there in the store and make my little skeleton and try to get people to sign up for the class. Hell, if someone just stands there and watches me for 5 minutes they'll get the gist of it. We'll see how it goes.

Last night I did something that I'd heard was a good idea but never did. I made a to-do list for myself for today. When I sat down here and logged on I did what I always do, which is think about what I need to do today. I looked down and there it was! It's a small thing but it was a pleasant jolt. It's like my mind is freed up to think of new things.

gmiyu- Hey, you, give that to me.

Anonymous said...

Ah lists... you remember Chris Manning. He carried a clipboard around with him all the time with to-do lists on it. When I went back to college I adopted his method of organization. It worked great B.C. (before computers). Now I use Outlook, and if I didn't set Outlook to shoot me little musical reminders, I'd forget half the stuff I'm supposed to do.

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

I haven't come quite that far into the computer age. I guess I should. Now I keep a small notebook in my purse so I can jot down ideas and reminders.

I just printed up 21 pages of flyers and supplies lists for my class (four to a page). I just have to cut them up. I think I'm all ready to go for tomorrow.