Sunday, September 09, 2007

A happy conversation

Today I called John to see how his surgery went. I actually didn't expect to talk to him. I figured he'd still be in the hospital and I'd get an update from his wife. I was pretty surprised when he answered the phone. Surprised and SO happy that he could talk!

The cancer was on his face. There are so many ways it could have played out, one of them being that they'd have to cut into his tongue and he'd lose the ability to speak. But it didn't go that way. He said they took off half of his face (Really? Half?) but it was mostly skin and the cancer had well-defined margins. They're 98% sure he is now cancer free. No chemo, no radiation.

But the best part was hearing his cheery voice. This has been weighing on him for the last several weeks. Ken and I both noticed that he seemed much more subdued. Phone calls were short and normally phone conversations with John NEVER lasted less than half an hour! Today I talked to the John we all know and love.

He said he was awake for the whole procedure! AND his brother was there and took pictures! So gather 'round, everyone! Popcorn! Slide show!

We're so happy that he can just get on with it now. I'm looking forward to playing music with this wonderful man who is now just a little bit more funny-looking than he was before.

3 comments:

vivage said...

What a great post.

Donita Curioso said...

Thanks.

I felt so good after talking to him. It put me in a wonderful mood for uke group.

Anonymous said...

Phew! Tell him hi and good luck!

--dean