Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Happy Birthday to me!

Fifty-one. Been a legal drinker for 30 years.

Lots of exciting things planned for today. After doing morning meds with Dad I'm going to Michael's to pick up supplies for the class I'm developing. Then I'm off on a whirlwind tour of Home Depot to buy paint and supplies for the big birthday bash I have planned. Tonight I'm painting a big prop for Ramona's band! I'll be whisked away to the football field where the fake bridge will be waiting for me to apply my artistic genius making masonite look like slats of wood. I can hardly wait! I'm gonna party down with some of the A-list band parents. I'm so looking forward to the witty conversations we'll have. I can never get enough of listening to people bitch about each other. It's gonna be an exciting night and the sore back I'll have tomorrow will be totally worth it. Hey, if you're gonna have fun you gotta pay the piper.

But it'll be hard to top last year's birthday. I still think the best way to celebrate an important milestone birthday is to dig up a broken water pipe with your crazy dad. Drew was there too but all he did was act sane and do a bunch of work. Boooorrrrriinnnggggg!

Tomorrow night the girls are taking me out for sushi. I guess I'll put up with it just to make them happy.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Momma!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from your Sunset Sister!

Unknown said...

Happy Burfday!

uikkxs- INXS' unsuccessful reunion tour.

Donita Curioso said...

Thank you, Michele! Thank you, Kyle!

Donita Curioso said...

Oh, and Lindsay too! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Just interrupting your fun-filled day to wish you a very Happy Birthday!

vivage said...

So here is your 6:14 pm birthday wish! I could have waited til 6:40 pm but I didn't.

Hope the sushi was (is) good and you have as many birthday drinks as you want/need. Good thing we can't drink one for every year we've been alive or even for every year we've been drinking age!

Donita Curioso said...

Thank you, Anne! Hey, Carl!

Virginia- Sushi tomorrow. We're going to Joe's (always good). This here glass of wine will be my only birthday drink. I've had three sips and I'm already pretty mellow.

Painting that prop piece tonight was pretty interesting. Really, it's too big to call it a prop. It's an entire set. It's a pretty much full-sized replica of a covered bridge. My job is to paint the sides and roof to look like wood. Where we were working there wasn't much light so it was difficult to see what I was doing. One of the guys brought his three kids who of course wanted to help me. They were nice kids but I kind of resented having them get dumped on me while the dad hung out with the guys. They were all welding and doing general guy stuff. I was only painting so of course I was free to babysit. At the end of the evening I asked him if next time I can be allowed to work without the kids. He was kind of embarrassed.

Really, they were good kids but they were too little to be of much help. I'll have to paint over what they did. They were very high energy and I was being pulled in too many directions at once. Really, right now I'm pretty wiped out. (more wine, please)

Ah, band parents. They're nice people but they're a tight clique and I'm on the outside. That's ok, I don't really want to be a part of their group. But sometimes they treated me like I was invisible and they really shouldn't do that. They're always whining about not getting enough parental participation so you'd think they'd go out of their way to make you feel welcome. I'm sure they don't even know that they're doing it. It's a good thing I don't care because if I did this is the kind of thing that would really bother me. As it is, I'm just tired.

Lindsay and Paige got me a pretty green glass pumpkin for my birthday, plus a few trinkets. Thanks, girls! Tomorrow, mad sushi madness!

vivage said...

Good that he had the sense to be embarrassed.

I don't like to join any group like that, no soccer mom, no band mom, no swim related mom stuff.

I'm just not the type.

Donita Curioso said...

Well, I do it for Paige. She's ok with me not being more involved. She knew this kind of thing is right up my alley. I usually don't do much with band stuff except ride the bus for Winter Drumline. The kids like it when I go along because I don't bitch at them every five minutes like some parents do.

Tonight the girls and Gabe and I went to Joe's. We be stuffed.

Nancy said...

Hey, Doni, Happy Birthday. I tried to post this yesterday, I really did. But sometimes I am google/blogger- password/username challenged, if you know what I mean. So anyway, I was thinkin' of you! Sounds like you had a good day. Except for that idiot Band parent. I'm glad you said something. How annoying.
Nancy

vivage said...

I've done banners for soccer teams but not joining in with the cliques.

Donita Curioso said...

Thanks, Nancy!

Virginia- Yep. I left cliques behind when I left highschool. I think for some of these people this is their whole social scene. If it's rewarding for them, great. I think it's kind of odd that some of them stay involved years after their kids graduate. Nope, not me.