Saturday, February 02, 2008

Prozac patio

There's something about taking a hot bath that just gets the ideas jumpin'. I've been wondering what I can do with my sun room. I wanted to use it as an art studio but there are too many issues. It's not a real room, more like a screened-in patio. The roof is a patio roof and it leaks. The windows are screens covered with plastic sheeting, which is falling apart. The carpet is old and yucky. It's cold at night and gets hot real quick when the sun shines. I've been using it as the animal management/box storage room. The dogs have been sleeping in there. It's where I put Lady when she's barking too much. We put the rabbits in there to let them get some exercise. When I empty a box it gets tossed out there.

So! Last night I took a hot bath and got some ideas. When we moved here I lost my wonderful Prozac porch. I loved my porch with its awesome view and comfy furniture. So, ok, I won't have a view but I can make this room into a really nice hang out space for summer evenings. I'm going to clean it out, rip out the carpet, take down the blinds and the plastic sheeting, set up the rattan sofas, put up some cool lights and add some plants. If the cement slab is ugly I can paint it. All of this will cost almost nothing.

I'm going to shade the windows outside by lining up four half barrels and planting them with bamboo. Oh yeah, the outside. I don't have a proper patio outside so I'm going to use the area if front of the garage as one. Got a lot of ideas for that, too.

All this might not seem like a big deal but it is to me. The house is feeling more and more like it's mine. There's so much that needs to be done. Big stuff that I can't do right away because it either takes a lot of time or costs a lot of money. But I can do something like this and it'll add a LOT of useable space.

But not today. Today I'm going to try to get as many truckloads out of storage as I can.

After breakfast.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you take the plastic sheeting off, will it be screened or will it be open air?

Anytime it is possible to have a patio, I vote yes.

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

John, your comment didn't make it for some reason. Anyway, hi!

Dean- The screens are in good shape so I'll keep them. No skeeters that way. I'll have to make some kind of barrier so the dogs can't destroy them.

Anonymous said...

We installed a metal grate on our front door screen that worked really well. We got it at Home Depot. It was made for the job, fit just right, had screw holes, easy to install, kept the dog toenails at bay. I think it was $18. Of course, you'd need more than one.

--dean

Anonymous said...

Hi Doni! It was great talking to you on the phone! I wanted to tell you that we tried our hand at making some Indian food the other day, and it worked pretty well. I read that the cucumber salad is more of a counter-balance for the hot & spicy flavors that go in the "real" food. The "salad" aids in cooling your mouth back down. When you come to NorCal, come over and we'll make you some, (& don't forget your uke - we'll do uke and cuke - ha, ha!)

Mary

Donita Curioso said...

Dean- These windows might be a bit too wide for the pre-made grates. But you've given me an idea for something I can make myself. I'll have to take a trip to Home Depot and check out materials.

Mary- It was great talking to you the other night. Dude, I'm so there for uke and cuke! And if we drink a lot we could do uke, cuke and puke. Party on!

Got three truckloads out of storage yesterday. The big unit is looking pretty empty. A few more truckloads and I can consolidate into the smaller unit.

Nancy said...

I always wanted a room like that - sort of an outdoor/indoor room. We have just the spot for one, but unfortunately the rotting deck and the termites have to take priority. Maybe someday. You'll have fun decorating it!

lgqkngw: Leggadillo is quick-on-the-go!

(couldn't pass that one up!)

Anonymous said...

Legadillo IS quick on the go!

In every part of the country but California, a screened in porch is called a "Florida room".

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

Nancy- Well, when you replace the deck you can add that room on. Might as well since things are going to be torn up anyway. You have unlimited time and funds, right?

Dean- Florida room? I've never heard that.

vivage said...

LOL, we call ours an enclosed patio.

They're way overrated in So. Cal. Too cold in the winter to use, too hot in the summer. If it wasn't piled high with junk we don't use we'd end up using it a total of 14 days out of the year I think.