Wednesday, February 06, 2008

My house

I hesitate to say this because it might cause the earth's poles to reverse polarity and maybe even its spin. I actually kind of enjoy cleaning my kitchen.

I KNOW!

I haven't had a garbage disposal for ten years. Got one now. Been without a dishwasher for five years. Got one now. The layout is good and there's lots of counter space. The stove is easy to clean. I even think there's an advantage to having the washer and dryer in there. I just multi-task like crazy. Right now the washer and dishwasher are humming away. It's still a disorganized mess because things aren't put away yet. I think it's going to be quite the cheery space when it's all fixed up.

I was out in the front yard just now studying the landscape. Getting familiar with the bushes, as it were. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with the front yard and the entry way. The plants are over-trimmed and spent. They're lush but tired-looking. I wanna rip 'em out.

There's an ugly, rickety railing across the front porch. There's white gravel under the bushes that scatters everywhere and is full of debris. The whole front entry way is crowded and closed-in and not at all welcoming. I'll bet I could take the railing and the gravel out in one afternoon. I haven't made up my mind about the bushes. There are five newer bushes nearest the front that have a nice shape and are kind of cute. I might try digging them up and moving them someplace else.

That big, gnarly tree in front that everyone loves? I've decided I hate it. It's oppressive. It looks like the very soul of Satan resides there. It should have been tended to long ago when it still had a chance to grow into something graceful and zen-like. Instead it looks unloved, tormented, demented and evil. And it has an evil little sidekick. The liquidambar tree in front of the kitchen window is completely bare. It has many, many spiky branches that look like they'd love to poke you and grab you. The bark is oddly ridged and the color is a pale gray. Seriously. Sibs, Smiths and Odiens, next time you come over check 'em out.

I found my camera. I'll take some photos. It's time.

I love this house.

6 comments:

vivage said...

Dream kitchen: A garbage disposal and a dishwasher.

I have neither.

Donita Curioso said...

A garbage disposal might not be that hard to install. I don't know where you'd put a dishwasher in your kitchen. You guys don't have any room to spare.

vivage said...

One reason the garbage disposal is a problem is we have no plumbing exposed under our sink. It's behind the wall.

It CAN be done, we've just never looked into it because the plumber won't do it on their own.

I'd let go of whatever space needed to get a dishwasher. I can lose the silverware drawer and the 2 drawers underneath that and figure out something different.

Donita Curioso said...

So... you have to rip out the wall under the sink before a plumber will work on it? It can be done. You can borrow my saws-all.

vivage said...

Yep, it needs to be ripped out but I'm not gonna do it. I can't repair it once it's done so I'd rather have a contractor do it.

It needs a door so it can be accessible all the time. But I think a door isn't right either because if we get a disposal it will need perm access to the drain.

Same issue with a dishwasher and I am soooo afraid that if we open up the wall we'll find nothing between the ground and the drains. Like open air.

Donita Curioso said...

That could certainly happen. Your house is old enough that there have probably been several people with varying levels of skill working on it. It gots quirks. Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone. Unless you have big bags full of money you can throw at it.

If I had an extra hundred thou I'd turn this place into paradise.