Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dad free days

What a crazy couple of weeks. We have all just been through something kind of extraordinary. It's been a relief to have these last several days Dad free. But the whole situation has been constantly on my mind. I'm sure the same is true for the sibs and spouses. Sunrise told us they'd rather we stay away for a while until they can evaluate him. We can take a good, guilt-free break.

He's entered a frightening phase. Now he sees there's something wrong with him, that he has holes in his memory. He told Drew that he's very scared. I hope he's doing ok. The latest report says he is.

I've been puttering around getting things put away. The house is looking better and better. Not quite photo-ready, tho.

Tonight I went to open mike with Jeff and Bill. First we had dinner at this Mediterranean place. It was a little pricey and we weren't sure what to order. I came up with the brilliant idea of ordering two appetizers for my meal. I ordered the cucumber salad and this hummus and beef dish. Jeff and Bill thought that looked good so they ordered the same thing (except they had lamb). Little did we know... The cucumber salad was basically a LOT of yogurt and a few cukes in a bowl with olive oil drizzled all over it. The hummus and beef thing was really good. It was topped with mint, pine nuts and drizzled with olive oil. Very tasty but now we found ourselves involved in a meal that requires a LOT of pita bread. Never in my life have I eaten so much bread in one sitting. Several times I noticed that I had olive oil running down my arm. We all thought it would have been helpful if the waiter had told us the cucumber salad wasn't really a salad. It really was good but we could have shared one and it would have been perfect. Jeff and I left there with two containers of cucumber salad, which later spilled in the bag in the car.

When we left the restaurant it was pouring rain. We had parked close to the Folk Center and walked a few blocks to the restaurant. It wasn't raining then, of course. One the way back to the Folk Center I got drenched. A big raindrop hit me smack in the eye. OW. I had used styling gel when I blow dried my hair. Now it was a wet, goopy mess. I was hoping it wouldn't dry into a dorky, crunchy mass. At the break I snuck off and brushed my hair.

Bill sang Daydream Believer by The Monkees. The audience sang along. Jeff did King Of The Road. The audience sang along. I sang Sukiyaki. The audience sang along! Well, hummed along. I also sang The Bosom Song. I had to. Jeff shouted it out. He was just joking around but several other people chimed in for Bosom. I laughed and said I wasn't prepared but I'd do it anyway. Jerry said, "See what happens when you write a hit song?" (Ego feed!)

I'd been wanting to learn Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto for a long time. I have no idea what it's about but it has that cute melody and I thought the challenge of singing it in Japanese would be fun. Yesterday I sat down and worked on it. It was actually easier than I thought. That semester of Japanese finally came in handy.

I enjoyed performing it. I goofed a couple of times but I think I covered ok. And people hummed along, which was fun.

It was a very enjoyable night out with the brothers. Tomorrow they're coming over here for uke practice.

7 comments:

vivage said...

LOL, I heard about the rain, the green place and the *salad*. Next time try the kabobs!

Good lick with the dad thing, betting they'll give him some good care once they know where he is in the disease. Really glad you all are getting a little break.

vivage said...

LOL, I have absolutely no idea why I typed green. It should have been greek.

Anonymous said...

How lovely, a normal average blog post! May there be many more beginning today.

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- After dinner one of the guys(an owner?) came to our table and asked us how we like it. He said, "You didn't have any of the REAL food. Next time get one of the dinners." I thought that was pretty funny. You mean this wasn't REAL food?

Dean- I KNOW! A post about normal stuff!

Donita Curioso said...

Here's the translation to Sukiyaki.

I look up when I walk
So my tears won't fall
Memories of Spring days
But tonight I'm all alone

I look up when I walk
Counting blurry stars
through my tears
Memories of Summer days
But tonight I'm all alone

Happiness is above the clouds
Happiness is above the sky

I look up when I walk
So my tears won't fall
Memories of Autumn days
But tonight I'm all alone

Sadness reflected in the stars
Sorrow in the moonlight

I look up when I walk
So my tears won't fall
I walk while crying
Tonight I'm all alone

vivage said...

I think it's a crack up that you all ordered the same appetizer and the waiter didn't warn ya'll that that was enough appetizer for double your party.

Donita Curioso said...

Maybe he thought we all just reeeeally loooove yogurt.