Thursday, January 24, 2008

Catching up

Dad's back at Sunrise now. He's in the Alzheimer's unit. Yesterday he was released from rehab. We all took him out to lunch at Olivia's and then back to his room. When we were going into the building Dad fell. He was distracted by the shuttle bus which had just pulled up. He got a lot of coaching on his walking when he was in rehab. We've tried to continue that. We'll remind him to stand tall, let his arms hang at his sides and to pick up his feet. He resents this and usually will either get bratty and make a joke or he'll get nasty. Or sometimes he'll accept it. But soon he forgets and it's back to stooped shuffling with his hands clasped behind his back.

Dede spent the night with him the other night. She said he woke up and didn't know who she was. She kept trying to explain to him that she was his daughter and told him the facts of his life. She told him about Dolores and his kids. He got angry and said, "How do you know this information?" She kept trying to explain. He said, "Don't call me Dad." That's the first time we've seen that. The next morning he was fine.

I don't feel at all confident that he'll do well at Sunrise. Their staff is very good but no one will be with him 100% of the time. His anger is always just below the surface and he's prone to falling. But it's too soon to tell. We have to let him go through this transition. Maybe he'll mellow out a bit once he's been there a while. I'm not optimistic. I think he's going to take a bad fall and either hit his head or break a hip. He has an appointment with Dr. Griffin next week. I hope I can get some time alone with her. It's too hard to talk to her with Dad in the room.

Other stuff...

On Tuesday Jeff, Bill and Liam came over for some uke-ing. We had fun but I think we need to be better organized. My voice is still pretty weak so I couldn't sing much. Liam brought pizza (Thanks, Liam!).

Dad's dog, Lady, is driving us nuts with her barking. She's deaf so you can't tell her to shut up. When I go outside she comes bounding up just as happy as can be. I've been bringing her inside when she barks but the other night when I brought her in she kept barking. Time for the shock collar.

I'm moving in little by little. I'll be so glad when I can start painting these walls. I guess it's a good thing that I can't start right away because it gives me more time to think about colors. My ideas are getting more crazy and vivid. Hoo boy, it's gonna be fun. I'm going for mid-century modern/psychedelic folk art/eclectic. Ok, I know how it sounds but you should see what it looks like in my head. It's FABULOUS!

8 comments:

vivage said...

"We had fun but I think we need to be better organized"

Bwhahahahahahahaha (gasping for air) hahahahhahahahahahahaha

Donita Curioso said...

Uh-oh.

Donita Curioso said...

Dum de dum de dum....

I'm here all alone. Lindsay's with Kyle and Paige spent the night with a friend. I'm puttering around getting things put away. I can actually see progress! I just wish it were a little warmer so I could work in the garage.

Dede has gone home. Stacey said she's a little shell-shocked. I think we all are. I had a good, long talk with Stacey yesterday. We debriefed. This whole experienced has left us all feeling a bit damaged and we need to heal. Last night was Dad's first night on his own at Sunrise. I wonder how it went?

On Tuesday Stacey and I are going to take Dad to see Dr. Griffin. After hearing about some of the very bad experiences the other sibs had with him I'd be scared to take him on my own. What if he decided to just jump out of the car?

Tomorrow is open mike at the Folk Center. I haven't practiced anything new and my voice is still shaky. But I haven't performed there in months and I'd like to do something. I know. I'll listen to iTunes while I'm puttering and see if I can get some ideas.

Back to the putter.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

try an old tom waits tune

Donita Curioso said...

Um, yeah, and I'll use that voice. I could do a duet with Theo.

Actually, I think that would be pretty funny. He and I could do a twisted version of some old Carpenters song.

Anonymous said...

Have we entirely forgotten the uploading of the photos of the house somewhere so those of us in another state like, oh, I don't know... Texas?... can see what it looks like?

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

I know, I know. I just found the camera the other day. Now I need to find the cord that hooks it up to the computer. I do want to post photos of the house. I want to share my ultra cool sofa and chair with the world.

I took pictures when we did the house inspection. Gammer and Gaffer were still here and the wall paper was still intact. But the computer couldn't read the disk so I couldn't upload them. I'll have to find the photos and scan them.

So, patience, dahling. You know how it is after a move. You can't find diddly.

Billy Canary said...

Do a Moms Mabley tune. That one called "I'm Older Than My Birthday"