Friday, July 06, 2007

Still here, still sick

Oh, this one sucks big time. The muscles along my spine feel like they're on fire. Pain throbs down my right thigh. Headache, joints, jumpy stomach. I couldn't get an appointment at Kaiser. I called David just to make sure this isn't something serious like streptomeninginalcoccusitis or some kind of soul-eating bacteria. I was in tears talking to him. He said it didn't sound serious and that I should go to Kaiser anyway. Ah, the joys of being a Kaiser drop-in.

By the time I got to Kaiser the pain in my back was huge. Every time I talked to a different person I'd start to cry. After 4 days of this I just couldn't handle it. I ended up seeing a physician's assistant. I told her all my symptoms and that I had started to feel bad on tuesday evening. She asked, "Did you injure your back?" I'm telling her I'm sick and I did not once say anything about injuring my back. Then she examined my back! She asked me three times if I had pain while uinating. No, no, still no. Then she sent me down for a chest x-ray and didn't send the order to Radiology. I'm waiting in Radiology with a screaming back while they try to track her down. Dammit, I had just left her office!

I got the x-rays and went back upstairs. She told me it's just a bug and there's nothing to be done about it except wait. I came home with Vicodin and Ibuprofen.

Vicodin works really well.

So, I'm flying to Sonoma County tomorrow morning, hopped up on pain killers. The girls are staying home. This trip isn't going to be what I planned. So, ok. I was planning to scatter some ashes but that will have to wait for another visit. I'm flying back on Monday evening.

And right now I'm going back to bed.

7 comments:

vivage said...

OMG, you really are sick. I told you to have a drink or two on the plane but with vicodin, you really don't need one.

Are you sure you need to go this weekend? Sounds like it might be better if you stayed home.

God, I sound like a mother don't I?

Anonymous said...

Hi Doni,

Hope you were able to recoup a little today.

Careful not to do too much because that vicodin will definitely mask the pain, when it sounds like you should be resting your back.

Pack lightly!! No record albums!! Between us & Lorraine, we've got everything you need. We'll set up a queen's throne lounge chair for you on the deck, ok? All you have to do is kick back and let us feed you watermelon and teriaki chicken and homemade vanilla ice cream as you play the 'ukulele.

Looking forward to a nice visit with you. Darn, we're going to miss the girls and Kyle!

Nancy

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- Nope. Can't stay home. The meds seem to be working. I'll be at that party even if I have to rent a freakin' oxygen tent!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be staying away from alcohol this weekend.

Nancy- Har! Ok, no record albums. I am bringing Chicken Fat, tho. The idea of a queen's throne lounge chair cracks me up. Yes, bring me a drink and put an umbrella in it! Oh my god, watermelon, teriyaki chicken and ice cream? That sounds divine!

Yes, I wish the girls were coming. We're just gonna have to have another big party some day.

Ok, gotta finish packing. See you tomorrow!

vivage said...

Oh yeah, I forgot (duh!), the party.

Well, the Queen chair sounds like a fab idea, looks like Nancy will take good care of you.

Have fun and take it easy. See you in a few days.

Donita Curioso said...

Hooray! No pain! This rotten sucker seems to have turned the corner. I'm still clammy, tho. Don't know what's up with that. But it is hot so I guess it's ok to be a little sweaty, eh?

Damn, that was awful.

Virginia, let's do lunch when I get back.

vivage said...

Ok, it's a deal. Glad you're better, hope the clammy goes away quick.

Anonymous said...

I'm so unplugged! I missed your whole traumatic weekend because I am without computing power. Hope you're better. Sounds like you really sucked up a nasty bug.

--leg