Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A quick one

The Mac G5 is in the shop. They said it would take a week. Could be less. I hope so.

The ex-boyfriend's ex is here. Her name is Moqui and she couldn't be nicer. She's spending her days at the Mission Inn at a teacher's conference. Every night when she comes home she and I have a big ol' gab-a-palooza. Tonight we're going to the free concert at Fairmount Park.

I'm still feeling kinda crappy but it has gotten better. I feel pretty weak.

The dogs got their yearly shave today. Eddie Bunny escaped this morning. She pushed out the wire that blocked one of the vents under the house. Paige crawled under there and caught her.

Jeff Wirth called last night! He's going to be in Riverside next week! I gotta get in touch with some people and have a little party for him. Oh man, it was wonderful talking to him.

The kitchen sink is seriously clogged.

Dad's old dog, Maggie, is on her way out. I'm going to call the vet and see if he'll put her to sleep. Dad hasn't taken his dogs to the vet in years so I'm not sure how that will work.

Today it's been six months since Jim died. I've been pretty messed up ever since I got back from Santa Rosa. Part of it is because I've been sick, I know. But I've been in the throes of a fresh wave of grief ever since the party. If I could just deal with it when I'm home alone I wouldn't mind so much. But I can't control it and I start to cry at inappropriate moments. Like when we took the computer to the Apple store and the guy asked the for name of the admin and the password. I had to explain to him that the admin died 6 months ago and we don't know the password. He said no problem, they can change it. But there I am, getting weepy in the Apple store in front of 60 people trying to buy iPods.

Next week we're getting started on cleaning up the farm. Paige's 17th birthday is on Tuesday. Also, I have jury duty. What a freakin' marathon! Jeez, I'm supposed to be looking for a job.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donita, you don't want to get the red crying face in a roomful of people with cell-phone cameras.

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

Heh! People probably thought I had some VERY serious computer issues.

Ok, how's this for insanity? Last night Moqui, Lindsay and I went to Fairmount Park for that free concert. It was just ok, just your average cover band. After we packed up our picnic we went for a walk. Moqui noticed this duck that was laying on the bank that didn't look so good. We looked at and saw that it had a lame leg and it was bleeding. It's feathers were all raggedy and its breathing was labored. It was a fucked up duck.

Moqui thought it might be thirsty so she put it in the water. It started drinking right away but it listed to one side and it swam in circles. We left it and went to find a maintenence person. We couldn't find anyone who worked for the park. A kid who was working for the people who organized the concert walked back to the duck with us. He said he had first aid training. We fished the duck out of the water and the kid examined it. He actually had rubber gloves with him. Then he left to see if he could get ahold of animal control. We waited and waited but the kid never came back and it was getting pretty dark. We got the car, threw a blanket around the duck and brought him home with us.

Moqui has a lot of experience with birds. When we got home she examined the duck. There was a clean hole in its upper thigh, like a bullet hole. We put him in a box so he could rest quietly for the night. If he made it we'd figure out what our next move would be. Well, he didn't. Poor ducky. Oh well, we tried.

So, today I get to bury a duck.

vivage said...

Oh poor Ducky. The nice thing is he was cared for by people after mostly likely being shot by people. Poor duckie to you too, being all sick and having a tough time.

So this is kind of funny, I sometimes call Mocha, Moe-key. And here you have a guest names Moqui. Isn't it weird we both have Moe-key's in our homes?

I am so happy that the Apple guy didn't give you any shit about the admin permissions.

Donita Curioso said...

Yeah, I was relieved that the problem could be fixed so easily. The Apple geniuses are really nice.

I'm almost back to normal. I need to exercise to get my strength back. I am soooo weak right now. Two and a half weeks of laying around in bed doing nothing but watching tv can really mess you up. Last night Moqui and I walked up to the top of the hill and I was really huffing and puffing. Tonight she and I are going up Rubidoux.

Anonymous said...

Why a duck?

Donita Curioso said...

Viaduct!