Tuesday, July 19, 2005

How's this for an idea?

Still riding the boost I got from the Santa Rosa trip. Here's the idea.

I make one of my original designs such as the Halloween prop head, taking notes on the different steps of the process and develop a workshop around it. Then I advertise it in the paper. I'd limit it to 12 people and charge around $30, plus supplies. When people sign up I send them an e-mail with a list of the supplies they'll need. I'll also offer a kit and other supplies that they can buy from me if they don't want to gather this stuff on their own.

I'll clean up Dad's downstairs appartment and hold the classes there. No problem getting tables and chairs. As people come in they'll see a display of the prop heads along with some of my other Halloween creations (soon to be presented as workshops). At one end of the room I'll have a stand of kits and supplies that people can purchase. I would also offer a light kit at an additional cost if they want the prop head's eyes to light up. Jim can wire them up, no extra charge.

I see the workshops as being kind of loose and casual. It could be divided into 2 sessions. Sometimes it can take a while for glue and paint to dry. I'd hire Lindsay and Paige, or even Tori and Audra to assist me.

That's it so far. I think I could have it ready to present by September. If I did two workshops per weekend I could pull in maybe $800 if people also buy supplies.

Knock this around with me.

3 comments:

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Other posibi;ities: Take the workshop to people's homes; sign up to teach a class with UC Extension and/or RCC communitee classes and/or Parks and Recreation and use those as springboards for your own workshops.

vivage said...

Cool idea. I'm pretty sure my son would want to take one of your classes.

You should also try contacting the local paper and see if you can get a story about your heads/classes and really get some interest going.

Donita Curioso said...

Jeff- Jim also suggested that. I want to try it on my own to get the bugs worked out. Then I can get others involved.

Dean- I want to make the workshops customer friendly. If they can find the supplies on their own for cheaper then they can do that. The light kit is a specialty item that they wouldn't be able to easily find on their own. The glowing eyes make the heads look especially cool so I think most people would want that. Plus, they get Jim's wiring as part of the deal.
I was thinking of making the workshops be 2 three hour sessions. I'm going to make a head and see if I can streamline the process. If I charge more than $30 people might not be interested. If I can get the process down I might be able to teach the same stuff in less time.
I don't think we're going to end up using the farm for events, which is kinda too bad. I dunno, we'll see.

Virginia and Dean- Yes, I'll do that. Last year we were interviewed for the Halloween thing but we ended up being a very small part of the story. This workshop thing is a little different, better even.

I want to develop other workshops, some shorter and less involved, some big and crazy. As I go along I'll learn more about how to do it and how much to charge. Eventually, lots of people will know about the Rancho Curioso workshops. I could end up making a half decent living from this alone. And I can still design giftwrap and lamps and paint furniture.

This feels good. I'm back into creative mode.