Friday, May 02, 2008

Yesterday

Ugh.

Yesterday morning just before I was leaving for work Paige came in holding Vesuvius. Poor little dude was floppy and barely breathing. His belly was distended. We rushed him to the rabbit vet in Corona and got there at 8:00. Unfortunately, the vet wasn't due to arrive until 9. The receptionist told us we could go to the closest emergency vet, which was in Yorba Linda. Holy crap. But the traffic wasn't too bad so it didn't take us long to get there. They took him in right away for assessment.

While we were waiting, and it was clear to see we were quite upset, this kind of crazy woman with a weird dog came over and sat down next to Paige and threw her arms around her. She said, "I know you're worried about your baby but I want you to know he's going to be alright because this vet is the best in the world. You wait and see, she's the best. Don't worry about your baby, blah, blah, blah..." I know she was trying to be helpful and comforting but it only made it harder for me to hold it together. I think Paige was feeling the same thing. They finally took us into another room to talk to the doctor.

Vesuvius had some kind of severe intestinal blockage. He was already so stressed that surgery wasn't an option. The doctor told us she could give him something that would help with motility but she really wasn't giving us much hope. Paige and I discussed it and decided to have him put down. We both felt so horrible about it. Vesuvius was a sweet, cute bunny. We left and came home. I went to work.

When I got there my glasses, my good glasses, weren't in my purse. I called the vet and yep, they were there. In Yorba Linda. At lunch I zipped over to Kmart and bought some cheaters so I could get through the rest of the day. I left work a little early, hoping I would beat a little of the rush hour traffic. It didn't take me long to get there but I could see that traffic heading back to Riverside was bumper to bumper. As I was walking into the vet's building I heard someone say, "Hey, how's your baby?" It was the crazy woman! What does she do, hang around the vet's office all day??? I was still pretty raw and close to tears so I kept my conversation with her as brief as I could. I got my glasses and came home. Very slowly. For miles and miles.

Jeff and Bill were here last night for uke-ing. We worked on some new stuff. It was nice having them here after that shitty day. Tomorrow is the folk festival in Claremont. They're going to teach a beginning uke workshop and I'm going to help. I'm hoping they can get me into the festival for free. It's going to be a good one. Taj Mahal, Ben Harper and Jackson Browne are going to play at the evening concert.

My Curioso email is acting squirrely. I can receive mail but not much is sending. Gotta get my IT team on it.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

What a lousy rotten day.
I'm so sorry about Vesuvius. I remember you adored him - wasn't he the prettiest bunny? You should post a picture if you have one.

vivage said...

Oh that is terrible about Vesuvius! I only heard the story tonight from the hub.

I hate that traffic you drove home in. I drove in that traffic for 8 years. From just past YB to home. Eeeek, gives me the shivers thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

Poor bunny. It's weird that you don't have much time for intestinal blockages, isn't it? It seems like they should be sturdier than that.

Funny you're talking about the traffic there. Forbes just put Riverside/San Bernardino at #7 on it's list of worst-traffic-congested places in the country.

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

Nancy- Thanks. I don't think we have a photo of him. I might be able to find one like him on the internet. He was the prettiest and the softest and he was very cuddly.

Virginia- Wow, you did that drive for 8 years? Lordy!

Dean- Yeah, he went downhill fast. it could be that he didn't show how bad it was until it was too late. he seemed fine the day before.