Sunday, May 11, 2008

Yard sale weekend (and Happy Mother's Day!)

I'd say it was a successful yard sale. I made about $230. Dad pulled in quite a bit more. Drew and Mindy did pretty well, too. Tori and Tyler sold a lot of toys.

I took Friday off so I could help Dede with the set up. We spent the morning putting my pergola together with Lindsay. Thank you, Dede!!! It was nice to have a shade canopy for the yard sale. Drew and Mindy also brought an easy-up on Saturday.

Saturday was a madhouse for the first three hours. Then it tapered off, but people kept coming until about 3:00. We put out about 1/3 of the records. The records were a hit. You just can't stop looking through them once you start. One guy bought 130 of them. We took phone numbers from several people who want a crack at the rest of them. Dede said there are still 44 boxes of records in storage.

It's a little hard to tell how much stuff went because we kept putting stuff out there throughout the day. I think Drew and Mindy and I did most of the selling. Dede was a replenishing machine. She kept going through boxes and putting things out. I don't know where she gets her energy. Once she was done with the boxes she started demolishing the inside of my garage. She busted out all those useless shelves they had in there. Behind a panel she found part of an old army uniform and this way cool, old army bag. Kind of like a messenger bag. She took it home to Stephen. Billo stopped by. Hi, Bill! Ken and Sherri, Amber, Steve and Anthony came by too.

Drew installed some ceiling fans for me. It's so great to get them up off the floor. I was very glad to see that ice cream parlor style ceiling fan go from the office. Getting that electrical work done was great but it caused a problem later that night. At the end of the day we had covered everything and consolidated the records and wrapped them up in a tarp. I had turned off the sprinklers, but when Drew turned off the electricity to work on the fans the system reset itself when the electricity came back on. Late in the night the sprinklers came back on and got the records wet! EEK! I found out about it right after it happened. I grabbed Lindsay and Kyle and we worked as fast as we could to get the records off the lawn and onto the driveway. Most of the boxes had disintegrated. We lined the records up along the driveway. We caught it pretty quick so there wasn't much damage. What a huge pain in the ass. I was already so tired and sore from the day. Moving a couple thousand records in the middle of the night was the last thing I wanted to do.

Today sales were much, MUCH lighter. Mother's Day. Oh well. I still made about thirty bucks. Drew and Mindy were here in the morning and Drew was here in the afternoon. I was on my own for a few hours. I got out my uke and entertained myself while I sat in the driveway. We're going to have another sale in 2 weeks. Drew came up with a good idea. We'll put an ad in the paper and include a blog address. I'll set up a yard sale blog so we can post descriptions of everything and include photos. I'm thinking that will be a good way to sell some of the music equipment.

Next weekend I'm going to try to get ALL of my stuff out of storage. That'll save me $300 a month! It'll be stuffed into the garage and the sun room but at least it will all be here.

Big tired. Everyone worked hard. It feels good to get such a great start. A lot of stuff went out of here. And hey, now I have a pergola!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Big weekend. Sounds like more work than setting up for Halloween, even! Sounds like you could do it a couple more times, too, when you get the stuff out of storage.

I wish I could hang out under the pergola some afternoon.

-dean

vivage said...

Wow, you were workin' it! I wonder how many people bought their mothers gifts at the sale?

vivage said...

Hey, are you gonna post an update about todays wildness? I heard a bit from the hub, he didn't have many details.