Monday, May 26, 2008

Three days not long enough

I whine for more.

We went to open mike last night. One woman who preformed was a poet. In her introduction she said that Memorial Day is when we remember those who have given their lives for our country. She said most would prefer not to have so many memories. Why is that sentiment missing from all those ceremonies?

On Saturday Drew, Mindy and Dede came over to help get the yard sale stuff covered and more organized. We're going to wait a couple more weeks before the next one. There's just too much going on for everyone. But that means I'll have all the stuff in the driveway for a while longer. I don't mind, but I'll bet my neighbors are getting a little nervous. I should put a sign out front that says, "Sorry. It won't always be this way."

Saturday night Jeff and Bill came over for uke practice. Oh Lordy, that was fun. I don't know why, maybe Kyle's presence inspired us to hilarity. We just laughed our asses off all night long. We did manage to play some music as well. It was just a really fun night. The next day we met at Bill's to practice a bit before leaving for open mike. We were still pretty giggly. Liam and his girlfriend, Samantha, went with us. It was a pretty good open mike. We did well on Tweedlee Dee, not so well on This Land Is Your Land. Oh well, that happens. One old guy sang a song that he wrote. One line was something like, "That's good ol' country livin'." But he took a breath right in the middle of the word "country". I laughed a little and Jeff leaned over and said, "I know what you're laughing at." It happened over and over. We were sitting there, trying to be quiet, trying to be a good audience, but really! That was pretty damn funny.

Tonight we went to the Towers where Jeff and Bill's mom lives. Virginia and Liam came, too. They were having a party downstairs so we were going to set up and play in the library upstairs. Bill and I left to go get dinner and when we got back they told us that the entertainment they had hired for the party didn't show up and they asked us to play. Bill and I went upstairs and got Jeff and all our stuff. Virginia and Liam brought Jean down. We put on an impromptu show with about 7 or 8 songs. We even had a heckler! Some old lady was yelling at us. But everyone else enjoyed it and we put on a decent little show. Afterward we ate our cold dinner and then played some more around the table. Liam sang a couple of songs. The boys did I Shall Be Released, which always slays me. It's those Odien voices. Virginia said, "Play that song that always makes Donita cry." Yup. I had Jeff singing right in my ear. Hoo boy.

Tomorrow, back to the mines.

10 comments:

vivage said...

The heckler, Lola was the best. She totally brightened up my day. Crabby old bitch, as the Leems says.

vivage said...

opps, I put my comma in the wrong place. haha.

Donita Curioso said...

EEK! it happened! Somebody in the neighborhood got pissed about thew crap in the driveway! We got a code violation citation! We've got 2 weeks to get it resolved so it's not really a problem. It's just EMBARRASSING.

Donita Curioso said...

Ok, I had to keep that last comment short because I'm at work. I'm off the clock now.

SHIT! I was feeling so good after my great weekend. Now I feel like I'm going to barf. Oh, YUCK!

Ok, tomorrow I don't have to be in until 1 so I can do a little tidying up in the yard and driveway. Maybe that'll make the neighbors relax a little. Oh man, this is going to make it hard for me to pay attention in psych class tonight.

Ok, Donita. Breathe. Breathe in white light, breathe out black smoke. White light in, black smoke out. That's from that meditation class I took a couple years ago.

Screw that, I'm taking a Xanax.

vivage said...

Fucking neighbors.

I'd be more worried about the neighbor who won't talk to you about why you have the stuff there (and what you are planning on doing with it) instead of calling code first. That's a sign of intolerance from someone who is right nearby.

vivage said...

Time will tell.

We have 2 code callers on our street. THe crazy lady behind us and our friend across the street that calls on anything on our street.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Neighbor shit is just the worst. Do you have to pay a fine?

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

No. this was just a warning. They're even giving me an extra week to get rid of the stuff. It might not even be one of my neighbors who called. Lots of people walk this neighborhood. it could be someone who lives three streets over. I'm not pissed about it, really. After all, this is a pretty nice neighborhood. it would probably bug me if someone else kept their house junky. I probably wouldn't turn them in but it would bug me. Really, my only worry is the pergola. It's in the driveway but it's behind my gate. it's not like an easy-up. it's a cheapie but it looks nice. I just don't know if it's legal. I called the officer who wrote me the ticket but she wasn't in. i just left her a voicemail thanking her for giving me an extra week.

Right now I'm typing this without my glasses.

I want to call again and ask her about the pergola and also ask about how many yard sales you can legally have per year. I think it's 4, Bill says 2. I just want to know because I have more stuff to get rid of.

Ok, enough with the eye strain.

vivage said...

From the code enforcement website: How many garage sales can I have in a year?

You are allowed one (1) garage sale per year for 3 consecutive days. No permits required.

The actual code says any sale on real property which includes yard sales.

Donita Curioso said...

Well, we might get into trouble. I'll risk it.