Saturday, June 17, 2006

Who's blog is this, anyway?

My husband, my walking buddy and my daughter's boyfriend require fresh posts. It's just that nothing interesting has happened lately. So, I'll blog about boring stuff and try to make it sound interesting.

Dad was visiting the Leeces last week in SLO. Jono graduated from highschool (congrats, Jono!). Today I drove up to Ventura to pick him up. Ventura is about halfway between here and SLO. David was driving him down. I got there a little early and took a quick detour to a yard sale. I bought a bookcase for Kyle for $5. Score! Add that to the $1 file cabinet I got for him from another yard sale. Kyle's room needs organizing and these two pieces will help a lot.

It was nice getting a week's break from dealing with Dad. Thanks, Dede and David! Jim and I got the rest of our stuff out of Dad's downstairs. We're slowly getting things moved into the trailer. Right now the studio is blasted. Things await sorting. We're getting rid of lots of stuff.

(Warning! I am about to talk about "female trouble") Ugh! I didn't have any hot flashes for a couple months but now I'm getting several per day. Big drag. Fortunately, they don't last long. Dang! I've heard that this BS can drag on for 10 years. As I'm sitting here I keep switching the AC on and off. I just can't reach a comfortable temperature.

Father's Day. I'm going to church with Dad. He played the guilt card. He's being pissy about it, too. The service doesn't start until 9 but he wants to get there at 7:30 to make sure we get a seat. I told him I don't think we need to get there an hour and a half before church starts and he said, "Fine! I'll get a ride with someone and save a seat for you." Yeah, I wonder who's going to be willing to give him a ride that early. I told him I'll go to church but I'm not hanging around for Sunday school. I'm not looking forward to being paraded around like I'm some kind of trophy. He'll be like, "Look! I got a kid! It's Father's Day and I got a kid!"

I know I should be more generous about this. Church is a big deal for him. Out of five kids, only two are practicing Christians and they both live out of town. If he shows up at church alone on Father's Day it will look pretty bad. I don't know what Stacey and Drew are doing and I don't know if he asked them to go. Probably not. But what I do know is him dragging me there is just for show. Really, I'd much rather take him out for breakfast.

Paige has Yamato practice. Kyle will be here in the afternoon. We gonna practice.

But first I have to clean this studio!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a brave, brave lady.

Jim said...

It's Colin Mochrie's blog; didn't you know that?

If you don't post, how am I supposed to know what's going on? ;->

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

I feel you, sister! I always try to pass the time by reading a book during the service. The pastor has only complained once.

If it's any comfort, Dietrich Bonhoffer (check the spelling), a lutheran minister, helped try to kill Hitler.

Donita Curioso said...

Dean- Yeah, them Lutherans are a crazy bunch. The service wasn't so bad. The pastor wore an eye patch. So, the service was part Pastafarian. ARRRR!

BABOR- Are you home?

I sat in front of Gwen and Bob Berg. I heard her behind me joking with someone saying she wasn't going to listen to the sermon. She said, "Why should I do that?" I turned around and said, "Because you need it more than most." The look on her face was priceless. She grabbed me and hugged me hard! Then Bob came in and sat down. When I turned around to say hi he grabbed me and hugged me hard and said, "You're the one I always loved the most!" Heh, heh! I love the Bergs. Too bad their daughter turned out to be such a (nope, must keep it clean).... bad person.

After the service when we were saying goodbye he kept petting my hair. He said he really loved hair. Gwen said, "Yes, he loves hair." Maybe it's because he doesn't have any.

Hector was there with his girlfriend. At first Dad wouldn't leave them alone. He kept shoving stuff at them like the hymnal and a bible. He made sure they filled out the guest card. It was nice of them to come. I know Dad was just trying to be hospitable but he just came off as pushy and controlling. I think Hector's girlfriend was actually scared of him.

Afterward we went to Stacey's for brunch. They were all glad that I had gone to church with Dad. That way they were off the hook. I think they all felt the same way I did. Going to church isn't the problem. Nobody wanted to be the trophy kid. After lunch we had a bit of a nice conversation... for a while. Then the subject of Timio and all his crap came up and Dad got all smarmy and cocky. That was it for me, I'd had enough. I left. Drew's going to bring him home.

When I got home Jim and Lindsay were just getting ready to leave to go rescue Kyle. His car broke down abour 40 minutes from here. It's pretty hot today and the car overheated. So, I'm going to do some cleaning before they get back.

Or, I could just sit here in air-conditioned comfort.

vivage said...

Finally posts! Hey and your walking buddy is almost as bad as you when it comes to posting.

So you guys grew up Lutheran? How funny, so did I. But I never go to church, even when the MIL begs us to go.

Maybe your hot flashes are the result of the stinking 100+ weather we've had?

Donita Curioso said...

Yep! We's Lutherans. I have mostly good memories of going to our church. Good people there, kind of like extended family. I met Jeff at Hope Lutheran.

It's a declining congregation. Mostly old people now. Since it was Father's Day they gave out restaurant gift certificates to the oldest father and the youngest. The oldest one was 84. The youngest was 46! It wasn't like that when Jeff and I were there. It was thriving. So many teenagers, a zillion little kids.

It used to be a pretty cool looking building, a classic A frame. Now it looks like a bunker. They added on a foyer. I guess it's because that wall of windows in the front was impractical. Anyway, now it looks just awful. Not inviting at all. Inside there used to be some pretty stained glass windows. I really liked the simple design and the colors of the glass. Now it's a gaudy, bright yellow and red pattern with insets of blue, purple and a tepid pink color. There are these icon insets that look totally out of place. The colors are muted and the style is kind of like those old Russian icons. This church is 60's contemporary. The whole thing looks tacky now, even the front sidewalk.

The pulpit was moved to the other side. It was actually kind of uncomfortable looking at the pastor speaking from the left side. I found myself constantly looking to the right.

Anyway, this church no longer feels like it's mine. Even though I'm no longer a Christian I think I would have liked for the experience to feel more familiar.

vivage said...

I haven't been to Hope in years. My family went to Eden (oddly enough so did Bill's family) but when the pastor Wahlin (sp) moved to a little church in Mira Loma? we did too.

Eden is like that too, full of old people. I think the non-denom churches have taken alot of younger people away.