Sunday, June 25, 2006

I'm pooped!

Today I worked at the drum and bugle corps competition that was at RCC. This is part of my obligation for Paige's tuition for the Yamato tour. For most of the day I was standing around looking for something to do. There were just too many people and not enough jobs to go around. But that was at the start of the day. Later when the competition got going and people got hungry and thirsty it got crazy fast.

At first they had me working in the food booth. I was setting up drinks when someone said they needed someone to stir the chili. Ok, fine, I can stir chili. I go over to the pot and some old guy everyone calls "Grandpa" came over to give me special instructions on how to open a can, pour it in the pot and stir. He actually kind of yelled at me because I didn't use the handy tab on the top of the chili can to lift the lid. Then he had me open a big can of nacho cheese and pour it into another pot. I had to have special instructions for that, too. He said, "You have to add two ladles of water to it and stir it in!" Again, almost yelling at me, like I was stupid because he had to tell me to add the water. After I had stirred the pot for about oh, maybe ten seconds he said, "So, how's it look?" I said, "It looks like cheese with water in it." He said, "Well, you gotta keep stirring!!!" Ok, I know the whole food booth thing must be his gig. I'll bet he's been doing it for years. But Grandpa must have a touch of the ol' AD because he was acting just like Dad. So, you can probably guess that there was no way in hell that I was going to hang with Grandpa for another minute. They had too many people working in there anyway.

I took a little time out and went to find my cousin, Daniel. He teaches percussion with the Denver Blue Knights. They were just pulling in when I walked to the parking area. They were in 4 huge busses plus a couple of semis. I found him and said a quick hello and then a quick goodbye. He had a lot to do and I had to get back to the Yamato booth.

Paige sat at the will call ticket table all day. She handled the job well. When I got back a little girl came up and asked me where she could buy water. The only place we sold water was at the food booth and it had a line a mile long. I felt bad for her. It was HOT. She was discouraged and went back to the stadium. I wish she hadn't left so quickly. I was going to get her some water. I talked to the woman in charge and suggested we set up a table for water sales only. We set it up quick with a big cooler and a cardboard box for cash. I started with a case and a half of water. We sold out almost instantly. Then I had to sit there with 20 people in line all waiting in the heat for a dinky bottle of water. Then someone showed up with 2 more cases, which sold out in a flash. This old guy (one of the RCC people) told me there was no more water and the store was closed. At 6 in the evening??? He said Smart and Final was closed. I said, "Well, I'll bet RALPH'S is open!" What a dope. I was getting pretty well fed up with old people at that point.

Someone did go and get more water and ice so we were set for a while. I went back to the food booth to help take orders from people standing in line. I saw that we were running out of water again so I started telling people in line that there might not be any water when they get there. Most people were cool with that, they could buy soda or iced tea to drink. One guy started chewing me out over it. He said, "I've been waiting in line for water! Why didn't you tell me they were out?" I said, "I'm telling you now." He said, "WHY didn't you tell me BEFORE?" Jeez, who the hell am I? I moved on. The guy behind him was really nice.

Things started to calm down after that. The competition was almost over. I missed the Denver Blue Knights but I did get to see the last two groups. Paige and I stood up at the top of the bleachers and watched. Man, it was hot. Sweat was pouring down my face. The Blue Devils were the last group to perform and everyone wanted to see them. The stands were PACKED. They won, of course. After it was all over I grabbed some trash bags and started cleaning up. Since we were hosting the event it was our job to clean the stadium. It took a while for the kids to start helping but eventually they grabbed bags and started picking up trash.

After that we all went to clean up the food area. Lordy, that food trailer is FILTHY! This is the trailer I'm going to be working in for 3 weeks on tour! I asked Eddie-san, the director, if there will be an opportunity to clean and organize the trailer before we leave. He said, "Yeah, you could do it next weekend if you like." I said yes, I would. I got the feeling he had no plans to have that trailer cleaned. So, next weekend during band camp I'm going to clean that disgusting trailer. I hope this heat wave is over by then.

After we got all our stuff picked up there was a big pile of food equipment left that wasn't ours. Just as I was about to ask who it belonged to I looked up and here comes a huge motor home and GRANDPA'S DRIVING! Run away! Run away! Yes, it was time to leave.

I'm home. My feet hurt and I need a shower.

5 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!! No, I think he's an RCC geezer. Maybe he's related to the band director. Anyway, he's pretty old so I don't think a cross country tour is in his future. Paige will be at RCC in 2 years. Maybe by then Grandpa will be driving that motorhome in the sky.

NO there weren't any drinking fountains. I thought it was an amazingly stupid move to not be prepared when they HAD to know that it was going to be a scorcher and they would need water for a thousand people. I even suggested we set up a table with a big water jug and cups. The RCC director said, "But we won't have enough cups to sell soda." I said we could sell cups of ice water. She said no, we CAN'T do THAT. I mean really, why not? People have to have water! It was HHHOOOTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I'll be earning that @#%$& tuition. Yesterday I got a glimpse into how they run things and how disorganized they are. Eddie-san is the director but his primary concern is getting the band so look and sound great and getting them on the road. He'll have 30 or 40 Japanese kids to look after. I'm sure he doesn't give a crap aout the kitchen trailer.

So, I'm just going to dive in there and get it done. Since we're going to have two chefs with us I won't have to be concerned with planning a menu and buying food. I'm just there to cut vegetables and wash pots and pans. I'll bet they'll be reeeally happy to have a clean and organized trailer to work in.

Man, I would just love to dip that whole trailer in a huge vat of bleach.

vivage said...

OMG. Would you like me to buy you the giant size bottle of Advil to take with you next weekend and for the trip?

Jim said...

You must be sooo lucky to be able to absorb so much Wisdom from Your Elders!

Donita Curioso said...

Yeah, like how to stir the cheese water?

Jim said...

Well, you gotta keep stirring!

Seriously, sweetie, I really do appreciate you taking all this on for us.

juhhh - preface to a dumb statement (such as, "Juhhh, whatcha doin'?")