Friday, February 10, 2006

Starting the weekend

I walked this morning with Stacey. She kicked my butt. Don't know why. She's only 10 years younger and 80 pounds lighter than moi. It was a good walk. I like my sis.

The painting is coming along nicely. It's a big 3x3 ft. canvas, the biggest painting I've ever done. Usually I'm working on paper. I started it last summer when I visited Dean in Texas. I love it. I want to do more big paintings.

It's a big, goofy Halloween explosion. The main figure is a black cat with its back arched impossibly high and an evil grin on his face. In the background on one side are some green, grinning demon faces. On the other side is an orange and purple squiggly harlequin pattern. There's a big yellow moon rising over the cat. At the bottom on the left is a lake of lava with hot rod flames rising up. On the right is a pile of multi colored Day Of The Dead skulls. Right in the middle under the cat's belly is the central figure from The Scream. Oh yeah, I'm having fun with this one. I'll post a photo when I'm done.

No band practice tonight. John Duke, our bass player, is coming over. I enjoy hanging out with John.

I went to meditation class last night. Another good one. Afterward we all went to Coffee Depot to socialize. Enjoyed that, too. It was nice getting to know some of the people in the class and it's always fun talking to Virginia and Bill.

I'm back to feeling good. I think I've dropped a little more weight.

AND!!!! Dad's gone for the weekend! A break!

Tomorrow morning we're going to the auto auction preview and look at cars. Sunday is the auction. Crossing all fingers and toes. Gotta get a car for Lindsay.

But right now I need to do a little house cleaning.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing y'all this weekend again!

exurd: The quality of being absurd, but only in the past tense. Also, a very smelly excerpt.

Donita Curioso said...

We're looking forward to it as well, fun dude.

Donita Curioso said...

I got it mostly even. There's a ridge down at the bottom where it didn't quite line up. It's not very noticeable.

I love my spooky faces but I'm really digging the skulls. I made it so the cat has it's front feet standing on a couple skulls and grabbing them with its claws. The back feet are in the lava lake.

Last night when John was here I didn't do any music at all. I just painted. I was in my happy place.

This morning we went to the car auction preview. It's kind of a sleazy set up. They also tack on a bunch of fees so even if you end up getting a decent deal you'll pay quite a bit more. We'll still go tomorrow but we're not getting our hopes up.

This afternoon the girls and the boys are going to Little Tokyo to shop and eat yummy things and generally just hang out. Then they're all coming back here. I don't know if they're expecting dinner.

As for me, this afternoon I'm going to paint!

zxvavm- a really drunk way of saying "Shazam!"

vivage said...

Yum to eating in Little Tokyo. I have fond childhood memories of doing just that.

Yay to the happy place, I can't wait to see a pic of your creation.

hey, I sent you email about taking a class with me.

vqzem: Like a requium but not.

Donita Curioso said...

I have to talk to Jim but I'm pretty sure I'll be taking it. I've wanted to learn how to use that stuff ever since I learned of its existence.

Donita Curioso said...

We are having a most pleasant weekend. This morning Jim, Lindsay, Kyle and I went to the auto auction. Oh man, it was crazy. I dropped everyone off at the gate and went to park the car (like, FIVE miles away!). I walked back to the auction and found where Jim and Mr. and Mrs, Loveydovey were sitting. I stood behind them with an umbrella and provided shade for Kyle, who was storyboarding. More about that later.

The WORST music was blaring through these big ol' speakers. I think the station was KSUK or something like that. It was hot and sunny. The place was packed. Then the auctioneer came out. He was like a game show host. No, no, more like the guy who warms up the studio audience.

What a weird scene. People were everywhere, it was loud, the auctioneer did that high-speed skeedoodle thing. There were guys walking around in the front blowing whistles and waving their hands to acknowledge bids and to keep people bidding. Cars were moving through.

All through this Kyle is storyboarding. He's going to be pitching one of his cartoons to Nickelodeon tomorrow and to Cartoon Network on Thursday. All through the auction he had the script propped on one knee and the storyboard paper on the other, drawing almost constantly. It was pretty bight out so I held the umbrella to give him some shade.

This kid that was sitting in front of us turned around and watched him. The three people next to me were talking in Spanish about what Kyle was doing. They were gesturing and smiling. I was enjoying the whole thing immensely. It was a scene within a scene. Kyle's little movie being drawn live in front of me and his car auction audience.

We were interested in only 2 cars but we decided we'd leave after the first one. It was a pretty good looking Volvo station wagon. Jim looked it up and found out it was worth about $6000. It sold for just about that. Way beyond our price. We left.

We went to BJ's for lunch. Came home, hung out for a while and then the kids all went to the roller rink. It was 80's night. Lindsay dressed appropriately.

I painted. It's coming together now. I've got to keep doing this. It's too much fun. In fact, I'm going to stop doing this and start doing that.

umiwjyp- the process of getting ripped off by an umiw.

(credit Kyle Carrozza)

Jim said...

The radio station was (Clear Channel's) KIIS, a perfect example of why I don't listen to commercial radio.

Kyle, it was great, as usual, spending some time with you. I hope your pitch went well, and I hope you're able to move those Dizzy Spell tracks without running into disk space or computational problems. Oh, and may that wrist heal fully and quickly! (Kyle took a spill while skating and (I think) strained his wrist a bit.)

For those of you who can't see it, I just gotta say this new spspspooky painting by Doni is a big bundle of awesome visual stimulation! Doni, do you have a name for it yet?

Doni and Vivage, you guys have fun in that metallic clay workshop!

And Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

abaexjay - state of DJs who try to follow their conscience at a Clear Channel station. Short for About To Be An Ex dJay.

Donita Curioso said...

The name of the painting is.... Buzz Saw's Paradise. There, I just made that up. It looks like it's almost done but I have a long way to go. Gotta do those noodly bits.

Happy Valentine's Day!

icuggig- getting hired to play music for the newly comatose.

Donita Curioso said...

or that guy Dick Cheney shot.