Wednesday, January 04, 2006

So, what's next?

Dad has been doing much better in the last few days. Still foggy to be sure, but much better emotionally. The stress of tree season and family visits is gone. As long as there are no issues for him to obsess on he pretty even-keeled. He's even been remembering to take his evening meds on his own.

I know this won't last long but I'll enjoy it while I can. I wonder how the land sale will affect him? That's the next big thing. I know he'll be happy about the money but it means he'll have to get used to the idea of leaving this place. I'm sure he'll want to know where he'll be going and when.

Actually, I'm feeling the same way about our situation. Where are we going and when? This process is supposed to take about 2 years but there are no guarantees on that. We want Paige to finish up highschool at Ramona. After that we can go wherever. I wish we had some kind of plan. So, I guess the answer to that is to make a freaking plan. But jeez, I sure don't have any good ideas right now. There's too much that I don't know.

Like how long will it really take to go through the whole land sale process? What if it's less than 2 years? I'm not too excited about the idea of having to find a place to rent in Riverside with 2 dogs and 3 cats and all our stuff. We've been paying $1000 a month here. How much is it to rent a 3 bedroom house? I think Lindsay is planning to move out after she finishes up at UCR but I don't see how that would make a housing search any easier.

It's more of that damned uncertainty. We've been living with it for 4 years now. It started when things started going south at Agilent. Hell, maybe it's been 5 years. I try not to be fearful about the future but I am. And I know it scares Jim. And that's another thing that drives me nuts. I'm tired of my life being one big sob story. Yeah, boo hoo, things are hard. I really get sick of myself sometimes.

Ok, that's enough. I need to go do something constructive.

12 comments:

vivage said...

You could stipulate that the property can't close until whatever date. That way you can plan for the eventual move.

A plan will come together.

We've been offline for the last few days, storm knocked over a tree that knocked out our dsl/phone.

Donita Curioso said...

Well, I'm pretty sure they'll set it up so we can stay as long as possible. But nothing's set yet. It's that uncertainty thing. One by one those issues will get resolved but right now it's a long list.

Ugh! Another long list. When we first moved back to Riverside there was this ridiculously long list of things we had to do before we could get settled. The problem with this new list is so much of it is out of our hands. We'll just have to wait until things play out.

And yes, somewhere along the way a plan will come together. I have a lot of trust in the people involved. Except Dad, of course. I don't think I ever could trust him. No, I'm talking about my sibs and their spouses.

I've got plenty enough to do to keep me busy in the coming months. Better to focus on that stuff. Also, I've got a lot of things to look forward to. I think the band is on the verge of something fun. I'm going to start my weightloss group. River trips! Gotta get Rory and Kyle out to the river. There's the 40/50 party this summer. Maybe I'll even paint that bathroom.

Thinking about these things will keep me out of the self-pity vortex.

vhvjyaf- If Vivage were Russian.

vivage said...

hahaha, thats why I'm so not a list person. It becomes too big, too detailed and then I get bogged down in the details.

vhvjyaf: this morning I was rushing to get the kids to school.

rqyeegw: No idea

Donita Curioso said...

One of my goals (resolutions?) this year is to do at least one thing for Rancho Curioso every day. It doesn't even have to be a big thing. Just something that will keep things moving forward. Ok, let's list some goalsolutions.

1. The Rancho Curioso thing. I want to start making things that I can sell in stores or on the website. I got too bogged down coming up with paper designs. I can also do one-offs. Lamps, jewelry, altered cigar boxes, fun shit.

2. Spend 1/2 hour each day doing some quick picking up in the house. Just breeze through and tidy things up.

3. Continue the GTD project. Right now it's too cold to work on the garage but I can do stuff in the house and the studio. Cleaning and organizing is only part of the Getting Things Done system. I need to put all that other stuff in place. Hang my calendar and use it every day. Open mail and pay bills every day instead of letting things pile up.

4. Do something that will get me out of the house. Take a class at RCC. An art class this time.

5. Re-read some books. Atkins, Thin Within, Getting Things Done

6. Lighten up, bitch!! Stay out of the self-pity vortex.

Ok, that's enough for now. I have a paper order to fill. Wheee!

vivage said...

A challenge for you. Make a cool purse using Rancho Curioso paper and a cool wooden box or cigar box or old lunchbox and then embellish it with old jewelry or beads.

There is an online group on Delphi who does a Year Of Jewelry...challenging every participant to make one piece of jewelry a week. Yes, a week. They blog about it and post pics of their projects. Very cool thing I think.

A single challenge from me to you!

Donita Curioso said...

Ooh, I like that jewelry thing. I'll check them out.

Man, I just saw some cigar boxes somewhere recently. That antique store on Magnolia across from Ralph's, I think. I'll buzz by there tomorrow and pick some up. I think I have an extra wooden one around here someplace.

Carol Duval did a thing on cigar box purses on her show this morning. Ok, I can do this. While I'm at it I should nudge my husband into wiring up the LEDs on Jeff's uke case. I really need to finish that. It's staring me in the face.

Good stuff!

Donita Curioso said...

By the way, I hung my calendar. This may seem like a small thing but it's a big part of this new system I'm trying to get into the habit of using. I used to hang the calendar on my fridge but it was inconvenient to use. Now it's on the back door where it's much more accessable. It actually gives me a little energy boost when I look at it.

Tra-la-la...

vivage said...

Yay! I wanna see pics! At every step if you can.

And it's always good to get UFO's off your crafting table.

jzdgm: gem judge

Jim said...

Doni, you can consider your lovin' husband nudged. I've just been waiting for you to get back around to it. Let's get the LEDs mounted.

icxlnqk - ah, geez, I'm not even gonna try...

Donita Curioso said...

Yeesh! This morning was all about multiple phone calls because the phone in his bathroom isn't working. He replaced it with a phone that's supposed to be part of a big system. Not only that, he tried to cannibalize a couple phones and make them into a Frankenstein phone which, of course, didn't work.

He kept calling over and over to make sure all his phones were working. I finally told him to stop calling and he got mad at me. I told him to forget trying to make that bathroom phone work. He has 3 working phones in his house. He doesn't need to obsess on that stupid bathroom phone. Criminy! It's Saturday morning!

vivage said...

Bathroom phones always crack me up. I don't really want to know when someone is calling me from the bathroom.
pxgru = pixel grunt

Donita Curioso said...

I know. Ew.

jasipx- Too cute