Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

I'm amazed I'm not hung over.

Kevin and Mary had a little reception yesterday afternoon. Usually they have a New Year's Eve party but Kevin's health has been pretty bad for the last couple months. They kept it simple this year and had their party earlier in the day to make it easier on him. Poor Mary was recovering from the flu and she barely had a voice. But they pulled off a very nice party. The food was really good. There was a barbershop quartet singing in the living room.

Then we went home for a little while before heading over to Ken's. We stopped by Von's and picked up some delicious goodies. Jim thought I went a little overboard but I hadn't eaten much at Kevin's and I wanted some bold-flavored foods to take me through the night. When we got to Ken and Sherri's they said they had already stuffed themselves at dinner. They also thought I had gone overboard. I set everything out on some trays. We had hummus with wedges of pita bread, teriyaki grilled salmon, summer sausage and swiss cheese, crackers, sliced apples, gourmet potato chips and a creamcheese and pepper relish dip that Sherri had. Good stuff. We also had lots of champagne and Bailey's Irish Cream.

Amber and Anthony showed up at around 8:30. She's lost a lot of weight and looks great. I'm very happy for her.

We all sat in the living room and drank and ate and talked and generally had a very good time together. At the end of the evening most of the food was gone. So, I hadn't gone overboard. Well... I did go overboard with the champagne. Oops. I had to take a little snooze on the sofa before I was ready to walk to the car. But I had been smart enough to recognize my overboardness and had a couple glasses of water before I met up with the sofa. Anyway, I feel ok this morning.

Gonna clean house today. Kyle is coming home tomorrow so Lindsay is floating several inches above the floor. We'll miss Spiral. He's been a good houseguest.

5 comments:

vivage said...

Oh man, the food sounds really good. We had homemade pizza with different toppings, fried moz cheese, crab won tons, spicy smoked chicken, a green salad, chips/salsa, and a couple of other things I forgot. Oh yeah and creme brulee!

I had a glass of wine, wheeeeeee!
uwrienxr: exlixir of wrens

Donita Curioso said...

Elixir Of Wrens would be a good name for a band.

I forgot to mention that we got some very good news last night. Ken's son, Trever, is home from Iraq and will be here for at least 18 months. I figure that's enough time to make almost 3 babies (they have 5 kids all under 7 years old). Anyway, we're so happy he made it home. Who knows? If we can get the murdering chimp impeached maybe Trever won't have to go back at all.

The diet starts soon. But not before one more visit to Joe's sushi. Who wants to go with me?

Anonymous said...

*floats by* Kyle's coming hoooome!

I wanna go! I still need to take Paige out to Joe's as part of her Christmas present!

Donita Curioso said...

Joe's Sushi is closed on Mondays. My sushi jones isn't completely satisfied. If I just had some of those mussels I'd be happy.

We went to Cabin Sushi instead. They have all-you-can-eat for $22. It was almost as good as Joe's. It was me, Lindsay, Paige, Rory and Kyle. We stuffed ourselves and had a rowdy good time. Paige was especially, um, energetic.

One of the big trees next to the sales shed fell over in the storm. It was the one closest to Hillside. BIG tree. Dad was concerned that our truck was parked in a risky place so we moved it back up here. Later Jim spent quite a bit of time at Dad's working on his tv. We really need to simplify his set up. He just can't handle that multi-component system of his.

Jim said...

Doni wrote "We really need to simplify his set up. He just can't handle that multi-component system of his."

I agree. The stereo is broken (the main piece (integrated amp) won't turn on or off reliably) and it's just overly complex. I've been over there three times this week because something wasn't working, and it's due to his confusion and the system's frailty.

I'd like to suggest that we (his kids and family) buy him the simplest boombox that'll play both CDs and cassettes for his birthday in February, and get rid of the stereo and one of his VCRs (he has two in the setup).