Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Diet and exercise

I wasn't planning to start my diet this early but it kinda just happened. I got commited without realizing it. What really kicked me into action was an article Dean sent me about diabetes and Alzheimer's. Since I'm a borderline diabetic and I'm staring Alzheimer's in the face every day it seems like a very good idea to give up sugar altogether like, NOW. I was planning to go back on Atkins anyway. Today is my third day.

I've been up Mt. Rubidoux three days in a row. I'll probably go tomorrow by myself and with Jeff on Thursday. I want to find some other activity just to keep things interesting.

Last night I went to Vons and bought lots of veggies and low carb bread and ice cream. Today Jim and I went to Costco for the meats. We're stocked up, baby! I'm keeping a log of my carb consumption on my calendar.

Jim says he want to do the pre-diabetes diet that Kaiser gave us. I don't know if I can get Lindsay and Paige interested in joining us. I'm just going to make sure the right foods are available so at least they have a choice. But the bad stuff won't be allowed in the house. They'll have to go out for that.

I sent out an e-mail inviting some friends and family to join my little weight loss group. I haven't heard back from anyone except Jim. Maybe they're all thinking about it.

I feel pretty good. Tonight I had a small piece of chicken and a salad for dinner. I'm totally stuffed. I feel like I have more energy. Tonight's Rubidoux walk took an hour. That's faster than usual.

So, here we go. Let's see how we do!

14 comments:

vivage said...

Yay on making that commitment!

Hey, a really good soup is cut up a million veggies, whatever you like in soup. We use cabbage, onion, potato, green beans, corn, & stewed tomatos with or without the juice. Dump it all into a big pot of french onion soup (ya know the kind in a box? In envelopes?) and simmer til the veggies are done. It's yummy, no fat, no carbs either. Well, 'cept the potatos and you can not include them if you want. It's yummy.

pqpsqgaq - when you have a mouthful

Donita Curioso said...

Ooh, that does sound good. Easy, too. Yep, no taters in the soup. Too starchy. I'd probably throw some chicken in there. Gotta have the protein.

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to come home and find salami in the fridge. That is awesome. I'll eat nummy sandwiches with no fuss. In fact, I was kinda surprised for a while when you guys kept coming home with those Cheetos swirl...things. They baaaaad!

Donita Curioso said...

That was the holiday pre-diet orgy of carb consumption. There ain't nuthin' like Cheetos.

I bought the salami for you. Just remember the bread is loaded with carbs. Try making a sandwich with one slice. Or you can so the salami hors douvres thing and make salami, cream cheese, black olive and pepperoncini roll ups. El Yummo.

vivage said...

I love salami, summer sausage and pepperoni. Yum.

All protein, some fat, no carbs: Smear some mustard on the salami, add a small piece of cheese, get a peppercini and add a slice of that. Pop it into your mouth. Yummmy spicy! Not very good for your arteries tho.

Donita Curioso said...

In all things, moderation.

This afternoon I climbed up Mt. Rubidoux. I took the trail instead of the road. Ooh, I liked it. It reminded me of climbing the boulders at Milsap Bar (but without the beautiful trees, crystal clear water and gorgeous waterfalls). It felt good. I came down the road on the steep side. It still took me about an hour but that's because I dawdled a bit on the way down.

Donita Curioso said...

It really got me huffing and puffing. Sometimes on the walk up the road I hit a wall and for a while it's not fun. Hiking up the trail is hard work but it's nicely varied so I don't notice it. I think I'm going to do that at least once a week from now on. It needs to be early in the day so I'll do that on the days I don't walk with Jeff.

Man, I'm feeling so much better these days. A couple months ago I was so brittle. All that Dad stuff, tree season, back to back colds and the general angst about our unsettled lives was a big, effing DRAG. I knew then that eventually I'd be on the other side looking back at it all, which helped a little, but it was still HARD. (Whines, stomps foot)

But now I'm all bouncy bouncy. I'm pretty sure I've dropped a couple pounds already. Paige and I have been keeping the house clean, which is energizing. I think all of us are less overwhelmed.

I sure like this new Fiona Apple cd.

Donita Curioso said...

One of my New Year's goalsolutions is to do a half hour of house cleaning every morning. I've been doing that for several days now and I really like it. So, how long does it take to cultivate a new activity to the point where it becomes a lasting habit?

vjxaqza- a yoga pose invented by Virginia

Donita Curioso said...

Heh, heh! You're so awesome.

Bvpam- the generic version of Pfnrv.

Jim said...

If you read this blog, then you've probably seen this ad:

Exercise is free Prozac. I do not exaggerate.

But did you know that you can get the same ingredients in a generix?

Talk to your doctor and see if Bvpam is right for you.

This message brought to you by Ptmxilig LLC.

vivage said...

If you do the yoga pose vjxaqza you get free samples of Pfnrv and Bvpam.

Don't delay, bliss awaits you.

pbhoksr - secret peanut butter binding material for pfnrv and bvpam.

Donita Curioso said...

Ok! We'll all do it!

Is this one of those fall down poses that I read about on the blue blog?

wsderz- The wisest of the wise.

vivage said...

Nope. That was a simple gravity surge...sometimes gravity plays funny tricks on us at that studio.

Jim said...

Vivage, gravity surges are caused by microscopic black holes orbiting around stuff; perhaps a fly in your studio ate one!

Legadillo, since Ptmxilig LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of your company (the developer of Pfnrv), I see no reason for you to get whupass on us. It's all just a marketing ruse, you know, nudge nudge wink wink...

Except for the exercise; that works, but doesn't sell pills, of course.

Of course, we'd never THINK of getting medicine from Canada; I understand they actually speak French there!