Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Running around.

Today I ran 3 errands and each one took a long time to do. I drove to Loma Linda to drop off Dad's DMV form. His doctor has to sign it off or they'll suspend his license. I don't think she will. Even if she does he'll still have to take both tests at the DMV. Right now he's studying them. I suppose it's possible that he could pass. But see, the other day he picked up his glucose test kit and asked me what it was. How's he going to take a written test?

My second errand was to go to City Hall and get my ticket taken care of. I got pulled over the other day for speeding. I wasn't going as fast as he said I was but he didn't give me the ticket for that so I can't really complain. No, he gave me a ticket to get my address changed on my driver's license. Just a pain-in-the-ass fixit ticket. Ten bucks. Had to stand in a long, slow line for that one.

Then I had lunch at Simple Simon's. I love their Gazspacho.

Then I went to the DMV to drop off the registration paperwork for Dad's new car. At least there you can sit down. Right between the crying child and the guy with b.o. Actually, it wasn't that bad. Just took a long time.

This is complaining. I know that. I feel like complaining.

We've had a lot of days like this lately. Today I also went to Dad's to put in eye drops, test his blood and watch him take his meds. Later he came over and had Jim print out (for the second time) some stuff that Dad already had but didn't need anyway, that he lost. This is when he gets demanding. Throw in a few phone calls (from Dad) and you've got a day.

I did manage to do some file sorting this morning. I'm glad I didn't totally skip a day with the GTD project. I'm working on the first big box and I'm finding that most of it is so old I can just throw it away. Me like.

Tomorrow Dad is going to the VA for another x-ray. I don't know why they need it, his elbow isn't bothering him at the moment.

Goodnight.

9 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

We went to nuclear imaging. It took 5 hours.

vivage said...

The nice thing about blogging is it's yours and you get to say whatever you like: frustrations, likes, dislikes, I think it helps process all the stuff.

How'd you guys do in that 5 hour stint?

Donita Curioso said...

Yes, blogging is good for processing stuff but I don't write about everything I'm feeling. This is, after all, a public space. I sanitize things just a bit.

But what's written here is pretty close to the real me. Sometimes I think I sound mean when I'm talking about Dad. Actually, I'm holding back most of the time. Dad inspires some intense emotions. My sibs know what I'm talking about. Also, how much complaining can people stand? Better to hit the main points and leave the rest.

The 5 hour stint sucked because it lasted 5 hours. They didn't tell us it was going to be that long. They didn't tell us much of anything. When they were imaging Dad's elbow he was supposed to hold very still for 5 minutes but they didn't tell him that. Try holding your arm in the air for 5 minutes without moving. They taped his arm to the machine but he still had to hold it up.

I wanted to know how the machine worked. I could see the image of the elbow and there was a bright spot right in the joint. I asked the guy if that was the stuff they injected into him and he said no, they injected the stuff into Dad's leg. Part of the 5 hours was spent waiting for the stuff to circulate around his body so I figured that that's what I was seeing. The guy said no, it's a hot spot in the bone. I said, "So, it measures temperature?" He said, "No" and walked out of the room. (???) Even Dad knew the whole thing was ridiculous.

I think they were mad at us because we complained about how long it was taking. But everybody in the waiting room was complaining. If we had been told that it was going to take all damn day it would have been fine. Yeah, ok, whatever.

Dad was very pleasant. He even had some different stories to tell (thank GAWD). He's remembering a lot of stuff from his childhood which is fun for him. I'd much rather hear about that. Most of the time I get to hear the same stories over and over about things like how he once delivered materials to a job site using a conveyor belt. There are days when that stuff makes me crazy. So today was good.

Except for that 5 hour thing.

vivage said...

LOL, I do realize blogging is santitized. I've got my own santitization process; it gets chunked out, smoothed out a bit but it helps me gain insight to those jagged edges that don't get in the blog but comes to the surface.

ha, anymore I don't rely on docs, nurses, etc to give me info. Because they just don't give you the time of day really. Thats why I love the internet to find that kind of stuff out.

Donita Curioso said...

Dean- Yeah, at least the DMV has a decent system now. Most of the people we've dealt with at the VA have been really good.

Shit, the dogs are barking. That means Dad's here. We've had a terrible morning and it looks like he's here to dish up another load. More later.

Donita Curioso said...

Ok, false alarm. New entry coming soon.

Dean- Hoo boy. Nursing home stories. We'll be looking into that stuff one of these days.

Virginia- Hve you ever surfed the blogs here? You click on the "next blog" button. Some of these people really should edit themselves. There's a lot of mindless drivel out there. Sometimes you get lucky, though. I found Stacey Nightmare while surfing. She's funny as hell.

Yes, the internet is very useful. At the very least it helps you find the questions you need to ask your doctor. And sometimes doctors don't know beans about squat (Not you, David. You're brilliant.) I'll bet there are a lot of doctors out there who really hae Google. Something about having a little knowledge can be dangerous...

Donita Curioso said...

Hate Google. There's a "t" in hate. Man, I wish you could go back and edit comments.

vivage said...

Yeah, sometimes I do surf blogs but lately, no time and no patience.

I'll tell you I learned more about Lupus via the internet than from my doc (who never treated a Lupus patient before) and it was weird because she told me to be careful about the internet because there was so much misinformation. As if I were going to Joe Blow's Lupus Emporium and shopping for wild eyed harum-scarum stuff.

Donita Curioso said...

Wow, does Joe Blow have an Alzheimer's store? I'm looking for some Daddy Downers.

I think most doctors are very good at what they do. It's just that every once in a while you meet a real bone head or some guy with a huge ego and those are the ones who stand out. You should have seen the one we had some months back. I was calling him Dr. Soup Nazi. He was horrible.