Saturday, October 15, 2005

Burning stuff now.

This morning when I went to Dad's it smelled like someone had been smoking in his house. Almost smelled like pipe smoke. Dad was laying on the couch in the living room. I said, "Man, it smells like smoke in here." Dad said, "Yeah, that's what I thought when I woke up this morning." I looked around the kitchen and found a pot on the counter that was totally scorched with the remains of 3 tea bags in the bottom. The bags were completely black, almost ash.

He acted like it was no big deal and I didn't say anything about it. It would have started a big fight and I really didn't want to get into it. I remember when Nana started doing stuff like that. Maybe we should unhook his stove. Oops, stove broke. Disable the ovens, too. He's been using the lower one for storage and the controls for both are right next to each other. All he really needs is the microwave to warm his food and make a cup of tea.

He's still driving. He's going to do it as long as he can get away with it. I'm not willing to fight him on this. His next appointment with Dr. Griffin is on the 28th and I'm sure we'll talk about it then. But I think Drew will need to either take his car or disable it.

Smoke alarms. Better get some if he doesn't have them.

7 comments:

vivage said...

Seems like we both had burning issues to deal with today huh?

Donita Curioso said...

Yes, but yours was far more interesting. Mine certainly wasn't photo-worthy (except maybe as evidence!)


rrewbt- Frog legs AGAIN??

vivage said...

Lets hope your dads house never gets that newsworthy.

Funny, I woke up early this morning and checked the newspaper website. Nada there about the house down the street.

awvbcp = ahhhh, bunco cop

Donita Curioso said...

Ooh, great idea! I'll do that. Smoke alarms and electric tea pot. Got it.

Yes, Dad's house is all electric, thank god. His stove is scary. It's one of those glass top jobs that glows bright red when it's on high and stays dangerously hot after it's turned off. The only indicator that it's still hot is a little red light that's easy to ignore. The whole thing is glassy and flat so it's like a continuation of the counter. It's the perfect place to put things down on right when you walk in the back door.

Virginia- Jeez, you would think that an event that lasted that long would have been picked up somehow. Our paper is so lame.

wwdnhe- an African greeting

Jim said...

When we lived in Santa Rosa, our across-the-street neighbor was an elderly woman who was getting forgetful and physically frail. I recall smoke pouring out of her front door one day, the fire department coming, the house reeking of smoke; she'd left a pot boiling on the stove.

I wonder if we need to get the kind of smoke alarms that contain relays so that they can set off external alarms.

pouvd: pound avoirdupois

Donita Curioso said...

I think that would be a good idea.

Jim said...

I looked into smoke alarms a little more. Lowe's sells a Kidde smoke alarm that is "wireless interconnected" for $50. You use them like regular battery-powered smoke alarm (simple, no wiring), but when one goes off, they all go off. I'm thinking that we could install a couple of them at your dad's house (Maybe the TV room and his hall near the bedrooms), and one in our hallway.
So if we hear that alarm go off (and there's no fire at our house), we get over there pronto.

Here's a Kidde marketing video about the wireless interconnected smoke alarms. (hey, I'm vlogging!)

fpklu: fire-prevention clue.