Sunday, September 11, 2005

Workshop idea

Yes, I'm still going to do the workhops. My schedule is a bit off. I'll do the Halloween workshop next year. I now have 2 dozen styrofoam wig heads that I'll have to store. Life's funny.

Several years ago I used to make these star-shaped mandala things out of painted foamcore. They're pretty cool. I made a lot of them in different colors and patterns. I cut the foamcore into pieces and painted each one. Then I arranged them into a star shape and glued them together. I want to make a workshop around this. Painting the pieces takes way too long so I'm going to use fabric to cover the foamcore. And paper. Handmade paper, origami paper, newspaper, whatever. Paint can also be used to embellish the pieces.

This would be a great project for a workshop because the supplies are super cheap. Foamcore, fabric scraps, paper scraps, X-acto knives and glue. Ten bucks tops. I've asked Dede to bring me some of her cast-offs. I have a little fabric here and lots of cool papers but I'd like a little more for variety.

This is good. I was hoping for an idea for a workshop that would be quick, cheap and easy to put together.

Quick, cheap and easy. Look where your mind went!

6 comments:

vivage said...

You are very popular with the fucking spammers.

*waving arms* I'll take the workshop. I love mandalas. Should I start collecting paper/fabric now?

Donita Curioso said...

Yeah, they got me before I turned on the anti spam thingy.

Something tells me you already have tons of paper and fabric.

I still need to clean up Dad's downstairs. We're getting our storage situation fixed. Once that happens, things should get unconstipated around here. Then I can put it all together.

vivage said...

Nope, I don't. I'm too cheap to buy scrapbook papers and as for fabric, I rarely sew anymore.

Being a costumer every day for 7 yrs will turn you off from sewing.

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- Yes, I can see that having to sew every day might burn you out. I'm sure I'll have enough for us to play with. You can be my guinea pig, my test student.

Dean- How much were they each? If they're under $4 grab 'em and send me the bill. I don't care what condition they're in.

vivage said...

Bwhahha, I'm envisioning a box o heads getting xray'd at the airport.

The box should be addressed to the Queen of Hearts.

Donita Curioso said...

Ok, hold off then. Jeez, I Googled styrofoam heads and all the ones I found were real expensive. I got mine on e-bay and they were $5 each including shipping.

You could offer to buy the whole lot for $2 each and see what they say.

What is Savers, anyway? A thrift store?