Sunday, September 04, 2005

Weekend summary from Jim



Howdy folks, guest-blogger Jim here, with a summary of the last day or so around here. Friday night's band practice was unprecedented in that we actually had three drummers there, instead of our usual 0 to 1/2 (thanks, Doni!) drummer. John had invited a drummer to try out, he played mediocre and was actually kinda creepy, we all agreed, so we won't be adding him permanently to the band. Cousin Dave also showed up around 9, so we played a couple of songs with him, and then around midnight, who should walk in but Paul, the very good drummer who also plays in the country band Thunder Road. So we played a couple of songs with him, too, quietly because it was so late.

Saturday's blood testing and dosing went fine. After that, I spent the morning copying a minidisk recording of Friday night's practice over to the computer so I could burn CDs of it. I asked Lindsay to make top-of-page drawings for birthday cards for her cousins Audra and Tyler, since their birthday party was Saturday. They turned out great, you can see Audra's above. I printed them out, folded them into cards, had everybody sign them, and put some money in each one. We were getting ready to go, when Paige asked if she could go to boyfriend Rory's cousin's wedding. I said yes, and she prepared for that. After some confusion and frustration between Paige and me, I dropped Paige off at Rory's grandma's and went to the party at Doni's sister Stacey's, everyone seemed to be having a great time for the 2 hours we were there. Then Lindsay and I went home and I took a CD of Friday night over to Ken's; everyone (including cousin/drummer Dave and bassist John) were pretty interested in being able to record, and how well it sounded, but Amber had never heard herself sing, so she got very excited. Ken and Sherri made a wonderful barbecued shish kebab meal, and then we played some more music until 9 PM or so.
Paige got home around midnight; Lindsay had gone out with her boyfriend Jon, and I don't know when she finally got home.

This morning when I went to Stan's to do the morning blood test and dosing, he showed me where he had scratched or clawed his elbow in the middle of the night; a small but deep wound. He said it bled and bled, and he finally wrapped the elbow with a lot of paper towels, held them in place with his other arm, and went back to bed. There was a lot of blood in his bathroom, and as we cleaned it up to bandage it, it began to bleed again. it did finally stop, though, and we dressed it with a large bandage and he is now getting dressed to go to church. I hope it doesn't start bleeding again. His blood sugar level was the best so far in the last 2 weeks (174), but his blood seems very thin; I would guess a low platelet count, since that's what causes blood to clot, but I'm no doctor. Nevertheless, Stan seemed relatively sharp and energetic. He's had several old friends visit him this week, and I think his "full" schedule has been invigorating for him.

6 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Holy cow! Man, thanks for dealing with that. I hope he didn't open up at church.

Thanks for taking care of the birthday stuff.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Wow, three drummers in one night! Too bad John's guy was creepy. The search continues.

I'll blog a little later. Yesterday was kinda weird. When I heard that Halliburton got that contract I was so angry that I was shaking too hard to paint. Someone on the radio was saying, "Where's Dick Cheney? What's he doing?" Well, now we know where he was. He got right to work getting the contract for Halliburton.

I hate these people.

I'm better today.

Jim said...

You're welcome, Doni. It comes with the position, heh.
The party was very pleasant, it was fun watching lots of kids in action using that big new pool of Stacey and Scotty's; at one point, five girls were dancing the Macarena on one pool platform, boys were floating on squirty-floats around squirting people in the main pool, while other kids in the spa part were modulating the waterfall and jumping into the pool.

I think we could use John's drummer (Kevin) in a pinch, but he didn't seem real happy with our music choices, and his tempo and pulse drifted some. And he was quiet and minimal in conversation.

As for Cheney, all I can say is illegitimus non carborundum; don't let 'em get too far under your skin, lots of things need our attention; I am hopeful that the current gang's veneer is getting very thin.

vivage said...

Hullo Guest blogger Jim, good entry. Sounds like you have everything well in hand.

Donita,
Cheney was on vacation. I'd send you the link but I think it would piss you off too much. I'm agreeing with Jim, the veneer is wearing thin, I think there are holes showing thru. Yay, do a happy dance, not a jittery shaky one where people think you have St. Vitus disease.

Jim said...

Turns out the halliburton deal was struck back in '04, for any such eventuality. Cheney probably hasn't had to lift a finger this week, all the contracts are lined up already.

Stan's elbow hasn't bled any more, so that's good. He was pretty weak this morning, he needed an extra 30 minutes to get ready before I came over. The boy's gotta cut out that late-night partying!
But his blood sugar level was the best so far (about 165). Maybe that's why he's tired, huh.

Lindsay sent me email at 3:45 AM, she ended up spending the night at a barbecue; John's dad was there. She'll probably straggle in and flop into bed sometime around noon, I reckon. By then Paige will be at Rory's for the day. All's calm here, I guess!

Jim said...

Thanks for the support, Viv! ;->

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Three drummers in one night? Now, if you fire everyone but the bass-player, you can call yourself the Ramones.