Sunday, September 11, 2005

Dad lost the key to the rental car.

We got the car on Friday, he lost the key on Saturday, he's driving our truck now.

I went over there just now to try to find the key. Dad's at church. He has the place ripped apart. If there was ever any hope of finding the key out in the open, it's gone now. I guess tomorrow we'll have to try to get another one from the rental company.

Last night when he came home (after midnight) he couldn't figure out how to turn off the truck headlights and he couldn't get the key out of the ignition. I don't like him borrowing the truck. He kinda screwed it up the last time.

I'm hoping he'll let us clean out his house now. It was visually overwhelming for me, it must be absolute hell for him. Crap abounds. He took out one of his dresser drawers and turned it over on his bed. It's all just a pile of useless shit. Every drawer in his house is like that. AND he's moving his chemicals back into the closets and drawers!

One bit of good news. His license expires in February. I'm going to talk to his doctor about it. I think she can report his AD to the DMV. If they test him he will surely fail. Then they'll be the bad guys. I don't know if that's the way it works. Then he can go make a BFD to the AARP.

We're going back over to look again. Jim called Enterprise. It'll cost $40 for another key.

5 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

We called about getting an extra key. They don't keep extras there, they'd have to go through the dealer.

Anyway, we found the key. It was in a dresser drawer UNDER a folder! He must have just tossed it in there and it slid under. It was just plain luck that I found it.

I got into it with him about his cluttered house. He accused me of being a control freak. I told him that his volumes of clutter are affecting our ability to take care of him. This is affecting our lives and whether he likes it or not, we are the ones helping him handle his life.

Jim agrees with you about the rent.

When we were there we had a big ol' circular conversation about the key AFTER it was found. He still thought it was lost. I put the key on his keychain. He wasn't sure what car it was for.

Oh yeah, he's got it goin' on. He can totally handle his life.

vivage said...

fucking spammers. And I hate the verification thingy on blogger. I don't know why they have to make the letters all wiggly, I never get it on the first try.

Here's a good link (it's a pdf) on Alzheimers and driving. http://www.alz.org/Resources/FactSheets/FSDriving.pdf

It mentions writing a letter to the dmv saying the person is hazard on the road. Also getting the doc to write as well.

I'm glad my MIL is too weak to get herself into the car and to undo the emergency brake...makes it easier.

Jim said...

The reason the lettering is all wavy in the verification thingy is so that computer programs (ie, spambots) can't easily read it.

Earlier today, I removed the two blog spams that Legadillo was commenting on when she said "enlightening blog". I just now removed two more, that vivage was commenting on.

vivage said...

Hmmmm, there is a blogging site that I often go to and their verification letters/numbers are just normal. It's powered by Moveable Type version 3.16.

I think I'll look at my settings to see if I can disallow others knowing when I've updated my blog. I mean without it going totally private.

Jim said...

Yeah, it seems like a picture of the word would be sufficient; that way they'd still at least need to use optical character recognition to do it.

I don't know for sure, but disabling updates may be under RSS.