Monday, August 08, 2005

Disaster week

Ok, we've had enough. Uncle.

I'm having a hard time typing this. My muscles are still a bit messed up. Two hours ago I felt like total crap but I think I've turned the corner now. Now I know what Montezuma's Revenge feels like.

Lindsay's two best buds from highschool are visiting this week. Thursday we (minus Paige) went to Mexico for the day. We had a great time drinking Margaritas and eating lobster and shopping for trinkets. Friday, Chelsey and David took off on their own to go explore Riverside while Lindsay went to see her boyfriend who just got back from England. Jim and I went to Ken's to go swimming. We got a call from Chelsey saying that her car had broken down. Jim and I left Ken's and went downtown to help Chelsey and David deal with the car. While we were doing that Chelsey started feeling ill. We thought it was because she had been in the heat for too long but now I'm thinking it was the beginning of our Mexican bug experience.

Saturday, Chelsey and David spent most of the day in bed. Sunday, Lindsay and I started feeling sick. Jim was fine. He didn't drink the Margaritas at Porto Nuevo. Wise boy. Sunday was also the day that the septic system decided to explode. This was a MAJOR inconvenience because there were 4 people in this house who seriously needed functioning toilets. Jim went to Home Depot and bought a sewer snake which took care of the problem.

This week we also had a power surge in the middle of the night which worked mischief on some of our appliances. Our washing machine seems to have lost its mind. We haven't worked on it yet because it's been really hot and I've been too sick to help Jim. Our washer and dryer are in a tight space and it takes some maneuvering to get them out. We'll probably mess with that tomorrow.

Hoo boy, I felt miserable. My arms and legs felt like sand bags. Every muscle hurt. I was clammy. And oh yeah, it's good that the bathroom is only about 7 steps away from my bed. Moan, groan, moan, groan. But I'm better now.

3 comments:

Jim said...

Legadillo asked where we ate in Mexico; We drove down the coast hwy (1). We had Margaritas and Pina Coladas at the Tequila Safari bar in Rosarito, about 20 miles below Tijuana, and then had lunch at Villa Ortega's Restaurant in Puerto Nuevo, about 30 miles south of Tijuana on the Pacific coast. It was a beautiful setting, right on the beach. But after seeing specks in the margarita ice at the Safari bar, I decided not to drink any more mixed drinks (with ice or tap water in them), so I just had a couple of Sun beers. I haven't gotten sick (yet, knock on wood). David had less of the margarita than the rest, and he got a little sick.

If I get sick in the next couple of days, it's probably from dealing with Giardia-laced sewage. But I was pretty careful, using rubber gloves, taking care to not make any contact, and using a disinfectant wash afterwards.

Of course we were careless; we've always been told "don't drink the water!" But I didn't really think much about it, and maybe folks didn't make the ice-water connection. I said that after the speckled ice, I'd decided to just stick with beer, but in retrospect I guess I should have made a little bit more noise about not drinking mixed drinks after the safari bar. Ah well, I'll bet none of us buy mixed drinks in mexico again! Nosiree, it's beer and tequila shots for me from now on!

Donita Curioso said...

No, it's just a restaurant in Lobster Village. It's newer and fancier so a lot of tourists go there. It has the illusion of cleanliness. Next time I want to go to this place that had a line around the block. The patrons looked like locals.

One of these days we're going down with Ken and Sherri. They go a few times a year and they always stay overnight at one of the hotels.

We're all feeling better today.

Jim said...

If anyone's interested, I've posted the gory details of the electrical power "relay incident" over on my blog.