Sunday, November 13, 2005

The day started with a bang.

Actually, a phone call.

This morning at 7:15 Dad called. He was yelling. He demanded to know where his keys were. He accused me of taking them. At first he was accusing me of taking all of his keys. Then he said he found his house keys in the front door lock, which is where he had left them when he got home last night. But he was yelling at me like I had taken his keys and then stuck them in his lock and left them there.

So then he's yelling about his car keys. Over and over I explained that I didn't take them, that David was the last person to drive his car. Dad's yelling that he doesn't want anyone, not even his kids to have copies of his keys. Not to his car, not to his door, NOTHING. I said, too late, we already have copies. I told him to call David.

Later when I went over there for morning meds he was all nice and normal. He said David had taped them to the back of his bedroom mirror. I'm thinking, why the hell would he do that and not tell anybody? Later I found out that David had told him and everyone else (except us) and that the last thing Drew said to Dad last night was, "Your keys are taped to the mirror".

AAAAIIIEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Later today Drew came over and I went over to see what was up. Drew was down at the sales shed checking on the bees. Yes, bees. A swarm of bees have taken up residence in the big, hollow pepper tree right next to the sales shed. There are 3 holes that the bees are using as doorways and the lowest one is about 4 feet up. The bees must go. Yesterday Drew sprayed them trying to get the queen upset enough to take the swarm and leave. Today he came back and sprayed them again. We decided to fill the tree holes with expando foam to either chase them out or seal them up. Just as it was getting dark we went down to check on them.

Dad decided he was going to slap a ladder against the tree and climb up and get a good look. We kept telling him not to do that but he was determined. We kept telling him to put the ladder down but he wouldn't do it. I said, "How big a ball of bees do you want attacking your head?" We finally got him to listen to what we were trying to tell him. It was getting dark so it was hard to see that at the top of one branch was a baseball sized clump of bees. Drew and I figured the queen was in the middle of that ball and they were going to spend the night there and then leave in the morning. Dad couldn't see the ball so he wouldn't believe us. It took a while but he finally saw it. Fine, don't believe your kids. Grrrr....

Earlier we had another fight. He'd been acting like a complete ass to me, barking orders. He was like that a few times this weekend when Dede and David were here and we were all working to get the place ready for tree season. I managed to talk him into giving me the keys to the sales shed, the front gate and his car so I could go get copies made. He wanted to go with me to Home Depot but he was being such a jerk I didn't want to be around him. He yelled, "Don't you turn your back and walk away from me! You shut your mouth and listen..." I cut him off. I said, "You've been acting like a jerk all day, you woke me up this morning with a bogus complaint and I'm not going to stay here and take this!" I turned and left. It felt good.

I know he's not at all teachable. I know that. But the days where he can bully me are over. We're all working to try to help him. We're all going to be here for tree season TO HELP HIM. Jim and I are putting our lives on hold TO HELP HIM. There is no way in hell that I'm going to put up with his abuse. So, even though there's no way he'll ever change and he won't even remember what happened it still feels good to be able to turn away from him when he's being abusive. I couldn't do that when I was a kid. I had to take it.

The Agavero is in the freezer. Later, I'm going to sit on the front porch, play some solitaire, drink some chilled tequila and enjoy the view. It's very clear tonight.

9 comments:

vivage said...

YAY!
utyffczw = unitarian diamond

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

I guess it's too late now. But couldn't you find a beekeeper who could subdue the bees and put them in one of his hives?

Donita Curioso said...

(smile) Ever the pacifist.

Bee keepers used to do it for free but now they charge.

Drew used this method on some bees at his house. You spray them with something that will cause the queen to want to leave. A lot of bees will die but the rest of them will want to get the hell out of there.

Tomorrow we'll see if it worked.

rnnamh- The sound of a bee ball on a pepper tree branch.

Donita Curioso said...

The bees are still there. Drew's going to give it another whack tonight.

Dad's pretty crazy today. He always gets super stressed out before tree season. This is bad because stress affects his Alzheimer's AND diabetes. He parked his car out in the junk yard and forgot he left it there. Today I came walking up and he started to accuse me of taking it. Drew suggested that he probably left it somewhere on the farm. It took them less than a minute to find it. So, what happened was, he parked it, forgot it, didn't even try to find it, saw me and assumed I took it.

Good thing Drew was there to head off what was coming because I might have had a disproportional response.

You know, screaming.

hpdeyswg- A big ol' swaller o' moonshine

Jim said...

It's for structures, but here's some expert bee-removal instructions at this Clemson South Carolina site:
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2507.htm

Sounds somewhat specialized to me.
They suggest protective clothing.

From the experts:
WARNING: Honey bee removal from structures is not a job for a person who has never worked around stinging insects or even a novice beekeeper. Sometimes, this work is done while standing on a ladder with hundreds of angry bees trying to protect their home. Bee removal can be unnerving to even the experienced beekeeper and lead to accidents.


Here's another, maybe even better:

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/insects/g843.htm

Equipment Needed for Bee Removal

Personal protective equipment needed for honey bee removal includes: white coveralls, bee veil, leather bee gloves, hive tool, queen cage, smoker, smoker fuel, matches, and duct tape (to seal pant legs).
Supplies needed for removing and salvaging bees include: hive body with frames, lid, bottom board, string for tying combs into frames, knife for cutting combs, two five gallon buckets with covers for honey combs, hammer and nails, crow bar, saw, staple gun, caulk to seal cracks, foam insulation to fill cavity, and a ladder.
Equipment needed to destroy bees: Liquid dishwashing detergent, water, hand sprayer (one gallon), drill, stethoscope, wasp and hornet aerosol, carbaryl (Sevin®) dust and applicator with flexible tube, caulk to seal cracks, foam insulation to fill cavity, a ladder and shop vacuum (to remove dead bees).


jtgng -
A big 'ol swaller 'o moonshine,
Down in the grove an' holler.
'Like ta been some caller or fahn thang
If y'all called me down there I'd foller.

Donita Curioso said...

An' de bees goes buzz, buzz, buzz
An' de bees goes buzz.

Here it comes, the voice of Stan Lang--- Been doing this all my life. You don't need special equipment. If you don't bother them they won't bother you. Repeat.

Lang kids chorus---Put the ladder down! Put the ladder down! Put the ladder down!

Donita's descant, 2 octaves higher, basically screaming.

Thanks for comin', folks!

Jim said...

Okay, I continue to abuse this blog's comment section by putting my own topics in here...

Stan called Doni (pre 8AM) today and told her that his elbow is bothering him (it seems to have become an open sore again), so she made an appointment for 10AM at the VA hospital today, and that's where they still are (gone over 3.5 hours so far).

I hope that they make it home in the next hour or two, because today is a big day for Paige; it's her marching band's last "field show" competition, the only "away" one that we have been able to commit to going to, and Paige has been helping and reminding me about it all week, so I think that she wants us to see it. It'd be a shame if Doni misses.

They'll probably make it back in time, but no guarantee; they've taken all day at VA appointments for what we expected to be an hour max before.

In better and unrelated news, I responded to an ad at recycler.com's classified ads last week, and the drummer who placed the ad returned my call today. He may be a good fit for the 'ol band, so we ("Casual Sunday") will be trying him out in the next week or so.
It'd be nice to have SOMEthing clicking along in our lives right now...

tktfuwv - Try Killing The Freakin' eUcera With Vengeance. (bees are of genus eucera. (okay, perhaps that's a stretch, but YOU do better with tktfuwv then! ;-> ))

Jim said...

Doni just got home. Yay!

ndaxpxwe - another unspeakable wordoid.

Donita Curioso said...

Yes. Another 5 hour VA visit. His elbow won't heal because he has diabetes and he bangs it several times a day. We got some more arm pads and some antibiotics. If that doesn't do the trick they'll do surgery. They need to do the surgery where they permanently stitch his arm to his side. He always walks with his hands clasped behind his back. That makes his elbows stick out and since his arms aren't swinging at his sides to help his balance he stumbles a lot. Just try stumbling around with your elbows sticking out and see how long they last.

Ugh! It was one of those long, tedious days. A guy bitched at me in the parking lot because he thought I was leaving when I was only adjusting. He called me stupid. I responded appropriately.

We saw Dr. Griffin, then went to the lab, then to x-ray, then to the hospital cafeteria for lunch, then to the gift shop (we had time to kill) and THEN to orthopedics.

And now we're going to Baldwin Park for a band thing.