Thursday, April 23, 2009

Slow day at work

Things always slow down after the semester starts but this slowdown is the slowest of the slow. Ain't nuthin' happenin' here. Really, I should save the taxpayers some dough and split. Not gonna. Sorry, taxpayers.

After work today I'm going to go to Lowe's and buy paint and supplies. It's so exciting! Tomorrow I'm painting the hall.

I've been surfing the web looking for cars. I've settled on the Scion xB, 2004-2006. I'd really like a green one but I'd be just as happy with silver. It looks like all the green ones in the area have manual transmissions and I want an automatic. So, silver it is. No big hurry, tho.

Paige got a 2008 Scion tC. We got a great deal on it because it has a salvage title. So far, no troubles. Salvage doesn't necessarily mean a lemon but you do take your chances. So, we gave Lindsay Dad's Toyota until she finds a car she likes. Her Taurus (death machine) is now sitting in my driveway. I'm thinking of donating it. I hate selling cars, especially a beater like this one.

I haven't blogged about the whole car thing. I'm going to use some of my inheritance to buy cars for all of us. I want the girls to have some decent cars, mainly for my own peace of mind. And I'm so tired of driving a minivan. I still need something big enough to haul stuff. The Scion xB is big enough, especially if I get a roof rack installed. Anyway, the cars will be the girl's gift from Grandpa.

I've got my fingers crossed. It looks like our lives are getting back to some kind of normalcy. Lindsay is settled in L.A. with a good job. Paige and I are going to school. I'm starting work on the house. If things stay like this for a while I'll be very happy. I got a call from Kaiser the other day telling me that the cost of my Wellbutrin is going to triple. I'm going to talk to my doc about it. I think I'm probably ready to give it up anyway.

So, we'll see. Ok, Universe, behave yourself for a while so we can all get a break from the drama.

8 comments:

VO said...

You could ask for a different AD, because you will have to taper off and they make make you take it for 2 more months. That donut hole thing is a bitch.

Anonymous said...

The taxpayers are happy you have a job and are spending money.

Have you ever donated a car before? We've done three. There's nothing to it. Call them, take of the plates, and hand the tow-truck driver the title when he gets there. When they sell it, they'll send you a receipt for your taxes (used to be they'd let you estimate what it was worth, but no more--although my estimates were lower than the sale prices).

dean

Anonymous said...

That should be take off the plates.

Donita Curioso said...

Vo- The problem isn't with the cost of the drug, it's my crappy plan that won't pay for it. It's a good thing I don't have cancer or something.

Donut hole?

Dean- I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do. I can't imagine standing in my driveway haggling with some dude over a car that I could only get $500 for at the most.

VO said...

For some reason I thought some (but not all) insurance companies did this:

Q: What is the "donut hole" I keep hearing about?

A: This refers to a period when no insurance for prescription drugs will be available. After total drug costs reach $2,250, you will pay an additional $2,850 out-of-pocket before Medicare Part D will continue coverage. This coverage gap is called the "donut hole." After this point Medicare pays for 95% of your drug costs; you will pay the remaining 5%.

But it looks like it's a Medicare issue. Just weird that your drug is going up in price, usually they don't go up but go down in price. I'd ask why your drug is going up so much. There is generic Welbutrin.

Donita Curioso said...

Actually, I am taking the generic form, Bupropion. I just say Wellbutrin because people know what it is. I don't think Kaiser and Medicare are connected. No, this has nothing to do with the cost of the drug. It's my shitty plan.

Lindsay said...

I totally know what car I want! I've even found some online in the right price/mileage range, I just need some downpayment money so I have something to give the seller if I find one I want. When does the first inheritance check come?

We're all getting Scions. I want an xA. Paige says most of them come with alarms, so I don't eve have to worry about parking it in our shitty parking garage.

Dinaman: Superhero whose only power is manifesting low-priced coffee and breakfast dishes out of thin air.

Nancy said...

Doni, check it out next time you're bored at work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj4N0I7kby4