Friday, April 10, 2009

Happy Easter

We had our little Easter celebration tonight because them kids ain't gonna be around on Sunday. We went to Joe's Sushi for Lindsay's birthday dinner. After that I went to the dollar store and got Easter trinkets. I bought some metal collanders and used them as baskets. Everyone got candy and these cool little wind-up toys I got at Borders. When I got home Lindsay opened her birthday gift (a plastic Buddha lamp) and I gave them their baskets. Whee! Happy Easter! Very low key. No eggs, no Peeps.

Then we watched It's Alive!, which I had recorded for Lindsay and Kyle. I saw this movie when it first came out and it's a total hoot. It's about this monster baby that goes around killing people and then attacks a milk truck. But the movie that got recorded wasn't that movie, even though it too was called It's Alive!. THIS movie sucked more than anything I've seen in my life. But we watched it anyway.

We've been shopping for cars. I'm using some of my inheritance to get us some decent used cars. It's a good thing because Lindsay's car is on its last legs. We found a car for Paige. It's a 2008 Scion tC. It has a salvage title but it seems to be in pretty good shape. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Lindsay and I also want to get Scions. She wants an xA, which is a zippy little thing and I'm looking for a good deal on an xB, the big boxy kind. Then I have to work on selling the three old cars. I hate selling cars.

My informative speech is finished. It's called A Brief History of Tabasco Sauce. Spring break is next week so I can practice it a lot before I have to give it in class. My topic for the demonstration speech is How to Play the Ukulele. After that we're doing a persuasive speech and that's it. I don't know what my topic will be at this point. What do I feel strongly enough about to want to persuade people to care about it and agree with me? So far all I can think of is something like, The Importance of Preparing For Old Age. Really, I'd rather talk for eight minutes on why assholes with obnoxious sound systems in their cars should be shot, but somehow I don't think that would be popular with my audience of 18-20-year-olds. They wouldn't be too interested in the old age thing either.

Hoo boy, sushi is salty stuff. My weight is going to jump up for a few days.

16 comments:

VO said...

The old age thing is good if you can get them to relate. hahaha, I think you can get them to relate to the sharing music if you were to approach it as "How Would You Like It If Old People Played Barry Manilow At Full Volume With A Bass Line to Sear It Into Your Very Soul".

Sending more birthday wishes to Paige!

Donita Curioso said...

Paige will appreciate it but her birthday isn't until July. I think you mean Lindsay. She said you wished her a Happy Birthday on her Facebook page. She thought that was very nice of you.

Whew! Long day. We worked hard moving your MIL's stuff. Jeff thought we'd just zip right out of there but of course these things always take longer than you want them to. Good day, tho.

Anonymous said...

Speak on music, Doni!!! Why you love it, how you've valued and accomplished it on your own and with loved ones; where, when and how band members and venues arise and what you think about that at the time and afterwards. You know, stuff like that! Don't get too technical, just have fun with it! Music is certainly one of the first things I think of when I think about you! Heck, just go back and look at some of your posts ~ you've got great stuff there, (Gigs, getting to know the Uke, singing and playing with Stan, performance parties...), and you should certainly be able to come up with 8 minutes of material! Tie it in to why your demonstration speech was about, oh what was it on? what? Oh, yeah! Music! (On a particular instrument of your choice, of course!!!) And, by the way, you sing! And you have percussion and dance background. If you need help, I can start this for you!

Tra la!

Mary

Mary

Anonymous said...

See?!? I really mean it - I've signed my name twice!

Donita Curioso said...

Are you quite contrary?

Well, I'm already doing a speech on the ukulele. The persuasive speech needs to be persuasive, like, EVERYONE should learn to play an instrument. I've got some time so I'll sit with it a while. I have to come up with three possible subjects and the teacher and I will decide together which one it will be. We have to do it that way because we're too stupid to come up with a subject on our own. I hate this class.

Other persuasive subjects that probably wouldn't go over well-

Pull Your Pants Up, Idiot!

How Many Times Does the Teacher have to Tell you To Come to Class On Time, Idiot!

If English Is Your Primary Language, Why Can't I Understand Anything You Say?

You Say You're Not Political and You Don't Watch the News, So How Can You Have Such Strong Opinions?

You're Only 18 Years Old, Yet Your Sexual Attitudes Are Straight Out of the 1950s, Dickhead.

Anonymous said...

Ha! On first read, I initially thought you meant "...three possible subjects and the teacher", meaning you were going to pull them up in class and use them in your speech! (you can likely do that, you know.) I forgot that you hate that class. The common adjectives in this post are: "idiot and dickhead", hmmmm... Once upon a time there were idiots who weren't quite dickheads ... but almost ...

Pretty much contrary, Mary

sampluba ~ nothing comes to mind, but it's kinda fun to say it outloud with an accent on the plu.

Anonymous said...

Of course the accent's on the plu. Where else would it be?

Oh man, I want to hear the pull-your-pants-up speech. You could have a volunteer demonstrator from the audience.

dean

VO said...

I swear to God, I do that every year. I must have Paige's name on the brain every year. I know who I sent a FB birthday wish to, I don't even have Paige as a friend on FB.

I am turning into my MIL.

Oh and thank you so much for helping out with the MIL stuff. I had no idea where the boys were today and no idea you were helping. I was totally out of it.

Donita Curioso said...

Happy Sampluba, everyone!

Vo- I hope your headache is better. You know, yesterday's move was the first time I saw those boys working together on an activity that involved physical labor. I need say no more.

Nancy said...

How about a speech on why MEN think it's ok to spit in public. (You put me in pet peeve mode with "pull up your pants, idiot.)

p.s.
Mary, Mary, where are ya goin' to?

yerify - word verification for Swedes

Lindsay said...

You should go on the road with your series of persuasive speeches that end in "idiot."

With such classics as:

Pull Your Pants Up, Idiot!

How Many Times Does the Teacher Have to Tell You to Come to Class on Time, Idiot!

and

That Giant Truck Only Makes Your Dick Look Smaller, Idiot!

Brinsi: an inevitable Starbucks misspelling of my name.

VO said...

Ah yes, physical labor is not the O family strength. It can be done but it's a somewhat rare happenstance.

Or the yearly: Paige: an inevitable VO idiotic misnaming of daughter Lindsey's name.

rytysdad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rytysdad said...

If I was doing a speech and I lived in California, I would title it as follows......."If I can do this stupid speech, then why can't the governator balance the frickin budget?"

Anonymous said...

Dean, Ha, ha! I got you to say sampluba outloud!

Nancy, HI! I started taking belly dance here in town - noticed a hula class starting at the Adult School, which I may very well take in May. It's been a long-time coming to Napa! My friend told me of a guy who just played at Freight & Salvage. He was a uke player back in the day of beginning tourist Hawaii. He's pushing 100 years old and still playing! Unfortunately, he sold his old ukes and started playing guitar; but now he's back to ukes! I forget his name.....

Lindsay, Happy Birthday! I laughed outloud at your "Classics" Idiots post!

Mary

Nancy said...

Mary - That was Bill Tapia, and I was there (Freight & Salvage) He's actually 101 years old. He's adorable. The last song he did was "When You're Young at Heart" Awwwww.